It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

very confused about what estrogen levels in pills mean... please help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
sbabayan
(female)

sbabayan HB User
confused about hormone levels and the pill

this is what i'm unclear about: does the estrogen level in a particular pill mean that that's all the estrogen your body's going to get? for example, if you take a low dose pill, youre going to be lacking in estrogen versus a higher dose pill? does your body completely stop making hormones and the only hormones you get are in the birth control pill? i ask because i've heard a few times that low dose pills can cause the vaginal tissues to get too thin or dry from not having enough estrogen. isnt the pill jsut adding to the hormones i already have, or is it totally replacing my normal hormone levels?

(i need to know because i suffer from a condition called vulvodynia, in which i'm already in pain from having sex. i dont want my pill to make it worse. i am getting ready to switch to ortho tri cyclen lo. my doctors say they can't tell me which pill would be best for me since there have not been enough studies done on the bc pill and vulvodynia. )

Last edited by sbabayan; 07-10-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
FromSqueaky
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: very confused about what estrogen levels in pills mean... please help

The estrogen in the pill is not the same kind your body makes. Same for the progesterone. When I had my blood test done my estrogen level was normal but my progesterone level was extremely low. I did not get tested for the type and level of estrogen or progesterone in my BCP.

I'm assuming that the body still produces estrogen since my level was normal

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 07-10-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
sbabayan
(female)

sbabayan HB User

so does your body quit making its own hormones when youre on the pill? im just confused because ive heard quite a few times that pills low in estrogen cause you to have the estrogen defifciency symptoms that post-menopausal women have, i.e., the vaginal atrophy. that's what a health doctor said on the radio. it just doesnt sound right to me, though.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
FromSqueaky
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I really don't know for sure. Sorry

Closed Thread