It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

IUD questions.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
linzetta
(female)

linzetta HB User
Smile Re: IUD, for those thinking of getting one and have questions

Hi all,

I'm new so bear with me. I'm currently considering getting the Mirena IUD becuase I can't be on anything with estrogen and most people around me are raving about it. but reading all of this has scared me quite a bit. I know everyone is different but is it really that bad when it's inserted? And don't most birth control methods cause some mood swings and acne/weight gain. I'm just worried about the insertion becuase I'm known to get light headed and fall over haha i guess I'm looking for some positive feedback on the Mirena since my options are limited and the shot and pill don't appeal to me yet now the Mirena scares me a little. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
shawnaslover
(female)

shawnaslover HB User
Re: IUD questions.

I got mirena last week and I am very pleased with it. I had some cramping. I took a pain pill before my visit and I think that helped. The pain was not bad for me. I love it so far.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
beanerz777
(female)

beanerz777 HB User

I had the copper IUD put in a month ago (no hormones) and really have not noticed anything different. So far so good!! Insertion felt like a pinch but only 2 times for about a second. It really was no big deal for me. Good luck!!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
luminescent
(female)

luminescent HB User

I took a 800 mg Motrin before I went to have mine inserted, and it did hurt a little while going in, but it wasn't just horrible, and afterwards I didn't experience any cramping. A month and a half into it though, it seems that I've been experiencing some pretty bad depression from it, mood swings, and the depression's causing me to barely eat. But that side effect isn't guaranteed, you may do just perfectly fine with it. It advertises itself as no weight gain (and I've just experienced weight loss from not eating, not the direction I wanted to go either). But then again, at the moment I seem to be back to normal, maybe it was a temporary thing, maybe it comes on and off. But don't worry about the insertion, yes it hurts, but it's nothing you can't take for five years of no worries!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
AM6483
(female)

AM6483 HB User

I seem to have the same effect. I had some cramping for awhile, and some depression. Then about two months in, I had some wieght loss. I went to my doc and got on anti depressants and have been pretty OK ever since. It is hard, but it is manageable. Everyone is different though.

It did hurt going in, I will admit that. But the pain goes away promptly. Then it is cramping for a bit. then all is good.

No worries, it is good in the long run.
Let us know how it goes!!!
AM

Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
karen28
(female)

karen28 HB User
Re: IUD, for those thinking of getting one and have questions

I had the copper for a while and loved it, until I got a huge ovarian cyst from it. There is much less risk of that with the Mirena, because of the hormones. My doc said the Mirena wouldn't effect anything, because all the hormones are local, instead of systematic, but I decided to not have one inserted until cyst are gone. As far as the actually insertion, it didn't hurt at all. I bleed forever, and finally found out my OB had torn my cervix while inserting it, but I had just had a baby and have an oddly placed cervix. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
arychel
(female)

arychel HB User

Hormones cannot be local really-- they can always circulate systemically, that is the nature of that kind of molecule. Also, I have read that Mirena not paragard has an increased chance of ovarian cysts-- sounded bad enough alone to make me want paragard instead. I also just want off of the hormones and all their side effects.

About the cysts and Mirena-- here are quotes from various websites:

[deleted]

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-18-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: This board is for your own writing only. Do not post text from other sources.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
SerenaG
(female)

SerenaG HB User

I've been on oral BC for several years and tried Mirena due to night sweats on the oral BC. I never had any other problems on the oral BC but lasted only 1 month on Mirena. I had cramping so bad I would almost pass out while driving to pick my daughter up from school. This lasted the whole month and would come on with no warning. I had no problems with the insertion.

That was a very expensive mistake!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
diane67
(female)

diane67 HB User

I had the Mirena inserted last Monday and I am still experiencing cramps (back pain) and bleeding. My doctor says that I'm having a normal period. She could be right it would make me 4 days early. I've been on the pill for so long, I have no idea how normal my cycles are. Six years ago I had to stop taking the estogen pill and switched to the mini-pill Then this past spring, things really became abnormal and that is when my doctor suggested the Mirena. The insertion procedure was extremely painful. Please give me some reassurance that I have not made an expensive mistake and that the side effects will get better?

Closed Thread