It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Protection During Period?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
legalrun
(female)

legalrun HB User
Protection During Period?

I just recently started taking Loestrin 24, which has four placebo pills for the end of the month. I had the impression that any other form of contraceptive was not necessary after Day 1 of taking the pill. But what about when taking the placebos? Are you still just as protected against pregnancy? (And I do understand that oral contraceptives do not prevent against STDs)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Longview
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
Re: Protection During Period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalrun View Post
I just recently started taking Loestrin 24, which has four placebo pills for the end of the month. I had the impression that any other form of contraceptive was not necessary after Day 1 of taking the pill. But what about when taking the placebos? Are you still just as protected against pregnancy? (And I do understand that oral contraceptives do not prevent against STDs)

In my opinion its hard to explain this, but ill try. Hopefully it sounds okay. If you are a brand new pill user you have to wait 7 days to not use any other form on contraception. The pill needs time to get into your system. After that 7 days and every time you start a new pill pack your safe. You do not need to wait 7 days again. When taking all your pills in the pack correctly each month you are then protected through the placebos. For example, im on Yasmin and it has 21 active pills and 7 placebos, if i take all 21 correctly that has enough strength to protect you on the placebos as long as you start your new pack after that when you should.

Last edited by Longview; 07-11-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: extra sentence in there.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
FromSqueaky
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

If you start taking the pill on the first day that you started bleeding from your period then you do not need backup. If you started taking the pill the first SUNDAY AFTER your started bleeding then you need to use back up for the first week of your pill pack. During the week of your placebo's you have your period and are protected from pregnancy.
Just to let you know I was on Loestrin FE 24 and the first month I had a normal period the 2nd month it was very light the 3rd month I spotted 4-7 I had no period. I always questioned myself if I took the pill correctly. Which made me question if I was pregnant. I didn't care for it so I got off. 7 months was all I took it for.

BCP does not protect you from any STD's. Condoms help protect you from catching STD's but they are not 100% effective. Skin to Skin contact can spread STD's from an infected area.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
Longview
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

If you start taking the pill on the first day that you started bleeding from your period then you do not need backup.

my fault, i forgot this. fromsqueaky is right..

Closed Thread