It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Starting BC Pill

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
cath1024
(female)

cath1024 HB User
Starting BC Pill

Hi ladies,

I posted another thread earlier about spotting for 2 weeks and the dr giving me an RX for the bc pill and said that should regulate things.

Well i have been reading that you are to start the pill on the first day of your period but my dr told mne to start the next day after i saw her.

I'm sure she knows what shes talking about as she is the dr ... but i am still spotting and this is not my noraml period.

I did take my fisrt pill today like she said ... so now when should my reg period come?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
mayam
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User
Re: Starting BC Pill

Hi Cath
The best time to start the pill is on the first day of your period if you take it for contraceptive purposes. This shows that
1/ You are not pregnant
2/ It is better for your body as it keeps to your regular bleeding pattern. (That's the theory although it may not work that way in practice.)
3/It will start to take effect straight away.
If you start on any other day, there will usually be 7 days before it will protect you from pregnancy.
I don't think there's any way of telling when your bleeding pattern will regulate in your particular case. If you have questions, I would ring your Dr's office and speak to her or her Nurse.
If ithe bleeding does not settle I would ask for it to be investigated. A simple swab test would show if you had any infection.
Mayam

Old 08-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
cath1024
(female)

cath1024 HB User

Thanks for your reply mayam,

My spotting finaly did stop last night ... weird because it was like one minute red spotting and then nothing ... i was kind of expecting to wake up to it back again but still nothing.

I wonderif it was the first pill yesterday that made it stop ? weird how it did stop all of a sudden.

Anyways i took my second one today but not sure what to expect ... my noraml period is due next week if i go from my last one not counting the 13 days of spotting.

Do you think i will get it next week or not now with me being on the pill?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
mykayco7
(female)

mykayco7 HB User

Most likely you will get you period when your bc comes to the sugar pills (the last 7 pills usually) i have learned that when you should be on your period you might get some cramping like you will be starting or should be on your period but usually doesn't come til the end of the packet.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 AM   #5
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Your doctor is not very bright. In order to stay as close to your regular cycle as possible, you're supposed to start the pill either on the day of your period or the Sunday after your period starts. Since you started the week before your real period was going to start, then you should expect to have some breakthrough bleeding and/or spotting for longer time than usual until your body changes the time when the cycle starts. It's highly unadviseable to screw with your real period like that, so i'm very surprised that this doctor told you to do so, but now you have to deal with the side effects of it.

The next time you go to that doctor, I would ask her what she was thinking, especially when your breakthrough bleeding and spotting gets really annoying and seems to last forever.

Closed Thread