It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Birth Control Pills are the Devil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
    asimpson57
    (female)

asimpson57 HB User
    Red face Birth Control Pills are the Devil

Does anyone else think so? Does anyone else think the birth control pills could be the source of some of the health problems they face?

I seriously think the source of my "female problems" is the birth control pills I was on for over a year. Before this, I had light periods, no real cramping no nothing. My friends would be so sick from their periods that their parents had to pick them up from school and I'd just be sailing right on through. But since the pill, things have been different. I've been developing a lot excruitiating pelvic pains, tumours of the ovaries and all sorts of other female problems. My doctors and the medical community had brainwashed me into thinking that birth control pills were the answer the everything and if anything they'd help your health (i.e. reduction of risk of ovarian cysts). But when I developed more and more problems and I put two and two together and stopped that pill, my health began to come back. I still have ovarian tumours that probably have to be cut out but still, I am never again taking the Pill in this life.

The following user gives a hug of support to asimpson57:
    renatab (05-08-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: Birth Control Pills are the Devil

I totally agree. Just do a search for my username on this board and you'll see all of the tons of posts I've made against the pill. I hate it and I think it's stupid that doctors refuse to acknowledge the link between the pill and the great number of health problems it causes.

If you're interested in reading more about the link between the two, you should look up the name Dr. Ellen Grant. She is a doctor in the UK who has done many studies of long term pill use and its effects. She has managed to show a direct link between the pill and things like hair loss, depression, loss of libido, and a host of other problems. It's a real issue, one that people need to take more seriously, and hopefully once women start to realize the problem, they can go off the pill to restore their body to normal again. Even though it can take a long time to get back to normal, it's worth it to quit the pill as soon as possible.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
    mtown
    (female)

mtown HB User

SOME women do not do well on the pill. Others do very well. I did not do well on a hormonal birth control. But I know plenty of women who have had wonderful experiences on them who have been on them for almost a decade or longer who have not such problems as you describe. It is like any other medcation you do what is best for you.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
    asimpson57
    (female)

asimpson57 HB User
    Talking Re: Birth Control Pills are the Devil

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtown View Post
    SOME women do not do well on the pill. Others do very well. I did not do well on a hormonal birth control. But I know plenty of women who have had wonderful experiences on them who have been on them for almost a decade or longer who have not such problems as you describe. It is like any other medcation you do what is best for you.
    I will acknowledge that some people do fine on it. But, at the same time, doctors and others in the health care field are acting like there's no such thing as women who don't do well on it. They're acting like it's the cure for everything and they don't acknowledge that sometimes it can harm even if you are way under age 35. I had to do my own sleuthing to find out what was going on with my body as the doctors kept insisting that the pill should have suppressed what was going on with me not causing it. Only when I started surfing the net, did I find out many things about the pill that didn't sound so hot. For the women who do well on the Pill, I am happy for them and I wish I were one of them.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
    asimpson57
    (female)

asimpson57 HB User
    Talking Re: Birth Control Pills are the Devil

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
    I totally agree. Just do a search for my username on this board and you'll see all of the tons of posts I've made against the pill.

If you're interested in reading more about the link between the two, you should look up the name Dr. Ellen Grant.
    Thanks for the information. I'll research your username and also Dr. Grant.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
    needaremedy
    (female)

needaremedy HB User

I just replied to another post of yours and mentioned a book I'm reading... I was on the Pill for a long time and truly think after reading this book that the Pill is at least partly responsible for the problems I'm currently having. I wish I knew then what I know now and I probably would have never taken the pill. And I know for sure I'll never take other synthetic hormones again.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
    RumRunner01
    (female)

RumRunner01 HB User

I happen to be one of the women who did very well on the pill. I had an ablation with tubal ligation in March and quit the pill per my doctor. Now I want back on them. I was on them for 18 years with no problem and was very happy on them. Now, being off them for 5 months now things are awful and I will be checking with my doctor at my next exam to see about going back on.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
    asimpson57
    (female)

asimpson57 HB User
    Arrow Re: Birth Control Pills are the Devil

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

When I started this thread I was upset about some health problems i'd been having and perhaps I was not entirely fair to the pill.

Some women do do fine on them. I just wasn't one of them and I don't believe I'll ever go that route again.

Now, to repair the damage to my body...

Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

I tried 4 different BCPs and I couldn't tollerate any of them. I then tried the NuvaRing which I thought was great until I came off of it to get pregnant with my 2nd child. It seems any hormonal BC causes more problems with my body then it is worth. If you have ever had any cervical issues (such as abnormal paps or cervical dysplasia of any degree) hormonal BC can make it worse, or at least this is what my gyno told me.

Everyone is different and some are lucky that they can tolerate it. I guess I'm just not one of them.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Frankly, I don't believe these women who say that had zero problems while on the pill. I think that was is more likely is that they didn't associate whatever problems they were having with the pill, because the medical community will not admit the link between the two, and therefore they think everything was fine with the pill and that something else must be wrong.

For women who are only on for a short time, it's more likely they would have fewer problems. Less time for the hormones to affect them. But for women who were unfortunate enough to be on the pill long term, they most likely had some kind of side effects which, although they were aware of them, they had no idea those effects were pill-related, and instead they assumed it must have been something else. I'm certain of this. I am also certain that sooner or later, if a woman stays on the pill long enough, she will have problems. It's inevitable.

While it may be a viable short term solution for some women, I don't think it's well tolerated or safe for anyone to use long term at all.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
    bjz823
    (female)

bjz823 HB User

Well BC pills were an answer to a very painful problem I had when I was 25 but now they are causing me too many problems to stay on.

When I was younger I was having episodes of severe pain. So much that I was so depressed and the pain was like a hard labor pain that lasted a half an hour. I went to all kinds of doctors to check my colon and all other organs. Finally I went to planned parenthood and talked to a nurse practitioner and she suggested that I m ay be having cysts or endometriosis. Just went on LoOveral for a month and no more pain. I have never had another episode again.

I went off them a couple years later since I didnt need them for bc anyway and the pain still did not return.

Now at almost ten years later I can not take them any more. I have tried four different ones. My cholesterol is rising. My bp spikes. I feel sick and worn out much of the time. Nausea continues. It kills your sex drive also.

I think it depends on your own hormone levels but I really think being on them long term is not good.

I am getting a tubal as soon as I can raise the 20 percent my insurance wont cover for the cost. I would have tried the paraguard if I wanted something reversable.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
    coty
    (female)

coty HB User

I guess we are all different.

In my case my hormones were so messed up that bringing some stability through BC was a blessing. My periods are regular now, last for a certain set of days and don't hurt like hell on earth when I get them. Sometimes they ache, but before it hurt like crazy, like I had to lay down and take lots of painkillers. It was just a matter of finding the right dose of hormone for me.

One of my very good friends has PCO, so the pill has helped her a lot.

I am aware of the risks, and I think everybody should, but there is a lot of us that do good when are on BC.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
    Thisby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

This may sound obvious, but you have to remember that the point of birth control is well, birth control. Preventing pregnancy. If you compare the health risks of taking birth control with the health risks of pregnancy, statistics show it's actually far riskier to have a baby.

My point? If you are taking the pill to prevent pregnancy, you have to weigh the pros and cons (and there are plenty of each). It should be seen as the price you are willing to pay to not get pregnant while still having sex. If you are taking them for other reasons (regulate your period, acne, etc.) the rational isn't nearly as persuasive.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
    Frankly, I don't believe these women who say that had zero problems while on the pill. I think that was is more likely is that they didn't associate whatever problems they were having with the pill, because the medical community will not admit the link between the two, and therefore they think everything was fine with the pill and that something else must be wrong.

For women who are only on for a short time, it's more likely they would have fewer problems. Less time for the hormones to affect them. But for women who were unfortunate enough to be on the pill long term, they most likely had some kind of side effects which, although they were aware of them, they had no idea those effects were pill-related, and instead they assumed it must have been something else. I'm certain of this. I am also certain that sooner or later, if a woman stays on the pill long enough, she will have problems. It's inevitable.

While it may be a viable short term solution for some women, I don't think it's well tolerated or safe for anyone to use long term at all.
    The pill has been SAFELY used for 60 years. It is true that some women do have problems but they are the minority. It's like anything, however and people complain more then they say good things. Yes, some women do not tolerate the pill well, but others truely DO have no problems on it, even long-term.

There have been NUMEROUS well-documented, scientific studies of REAL women on the pill showing its benefits. It is a well documented fact that it lowers the risk of certain cancers, and for many women decreases cramps. I am sorry you had a bad time on it, but attacking ALL birth control pills and saying that they are "the devil" is really going a bit far, honestly. Doctors do not brainwash anyone into taking the pill. It is a medication and like any medication, it can have side effects for some people. Even over the counter medicines can have side effects. Other commonly prescribed medications can also have side effects. Antibiotics for one. In rare cases they can cause major intestinal problems. Other medications can cause kidney, liver, even heart problems in rare cases. However, because these side effects are the minority, the medications stay on the market. It's a matter of benfits outweighing the risks.

Again, I truly am sorry you had such a horrible time on the pill.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
    bjz823
    (female)

bjz823 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thisby View Post
    This may sound obvious, but you have to remember that the point of birth control is well, birth control. Preventing pregnancy. If you compare the health risks of taking birth control with the health risks of pregnancy, statistics show it's actually far riskier to have a baby.

My point? If you are taking the pill to prevent pregnancy, you have to weigh the pros and cons (and there are plenty of each). It should be seen as the price you are willing to pay to not get pregnant while still having sex. If you are taking them for other reasons (regulate your period, acne, etc.) the rational isn't nearly as persuasive.
    Well that there are other ways to prevent pregnancy. Just because you don't take bc pills does not mean you are going to become pregnant.

Point is some people should find other alternatives. Especially when you get older I think it is harder to tollerate the hormones. There are good alternatives for younger women that want to become pregnant in the future.

I am getting a tubal in a couple months but really don't want to go back on the pills until then. If I were younger and wanted more children I would maybe try to find a pill that does not make me so tired, dizzy, and sick all the time.

Frankly anything that makes me feel this bad has to bad for me. I say me because others that are doing well on them should continue if they like.

Also I don't believe when you say it is the minority of women who have problems on the pill. Most women have some kind of side effect from the pill but choose to put up with it and some times it subsides but you know when you go off them some of us realize how much better we feel and what we got used to on the pill. Getting used to the side effects or blaming it on something else. Oh I am just tired. Well I can tell you I feel so clear minded and have tons more energy since i went off them. Brain fog is gone. For some it is better to put up with some mild side effects than to become pregnant and for some the pills is the best way to achive that.

Last edited by bjz823; 08-20-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Closed Thread