It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Sprintec and TIA

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #1
    rosiecatz
    (female)

rosiecatz HB User
    Sprintec and TIA

Recently I had to go to the emergency room because I suffered a TIA (Transient ischemic attach, mini stroke), I am only 28 and do not smoke or have other health problems. The doctor said this may be due to me taking birth control pills Sprintec. I was just wondering if anyone else ever suffered this side effect? And what you did to prevent future Episodes of TIA? Also I would just like to know that I am not the only one. Thanks!

Last edited by rosiecatz; 09-01-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User
    Re: Sprintec and TIA

I my goodness, that's HORRIBLE. There's no way I'd take that pill anymore if it happened to me. I would go back to the gynecologist and get my BC changed IMMEDIATELY. Until then, I'd stop taking it and use a back up form of protection. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
    Leeleeannc
    (female)

Leeleeannc HB User
    Re: Sprintec and TIA

That's an awful side effect and I'm sorry to hear that. I just started taking Sprintec a week and a half ago and have had to stop taking it due to a bad skin rash. I had a few days of nausea and exactly one week after I started taking Sprintec, I started to experience a rash which is all over my legs, my abdomen and arms. It's obviously some type of allergic reaction to the Sprintec. I just went to my gynecologist this morning and they really didn't take me seriously because the girl who walked me back to the gynecologist's office said "so where do you 'think' you have this rash?".....which upset me because it's all over my body and I've had other allergic reactions to sulfa and antibiotics so know that this is an allergic reaction. I was trying to explain this to my gynecologist but she wasn't really interested and said that the Sprintec probably contains some type of preservative that I'm reacting to. I made her give me a prescription for another type of birth control--Yasmin. I've taken Ortho Nova, in the past, and didn't have any type of bad reaction so there are some good birth control pills out there. Obviously, I can't take Sprintec and from what I read about it, developing a skin rash is a side effect so my gynecologist should be aware of this! I've told them so now it's up to them what they do with the information. It's no longer my responsibility except to share this with other women who may/may not develop a bad rash, such as the one I did.

Closed Thread