It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Stopping the pill and weight gain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
sandiedog
(female)

sandiedog HB User
Stopping the pill and weight gain

I've been on the pill (nordette) for 20+ years - just stopping twice to have babies. I decided to try one of the 4x a year period ones - Loevestrin. Within 3 weeks, I noticed significant weight gain - my weight has NEVER fluctuated. I'm active, work out regularly and eat well. So I just quit taking it after one month. I'm up 6 pounds now and can't get them off. I'm going back on Nordette to see if it brings my weight down. Just wondering if anyone else has gone BACK on the pill after stopping it and gaining weight, and what the affects were. Or after a longer period of time being off the pill, does the weight eventually come off? I'm 45 - can I just stay on the pill til menopause?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
radgirl
(female)

radgirl HB User
Re: Stopping the pill and weight gain

Sandie, I believe you and I are in the same boat. I believe that BC has always caused me to have some type of weight issue; can't lose the weight, constant struggles with water retention, etc... I was on ON 1/35 (brand name and generic) since I was about 19. Last year, I went off the pill for about 4 months. Then I went on the Nuvaring. At first, I thought the NR was a great BC treatment. Now looking back on everything, that couldn't be further from the truth. I am now off the Nuvaring and have been for 33 days. My period is no where to be found and the worse part, the scaled has jumped a good 13lbs. There has been no significant change in diet or exercise, yet you can noticeably tell that I'm very bloated/puffy from the bottom of my rib cage to the tops of my thighs. It's seems to have worsen since getting off the NR or getting off the NR is causing a whole world of havoc for me, so I completely understand. I too am quite frustrated with the results. I have no plans of returning to hormonal bc after what I've gone through, but as far as getting off the BC and seeing a weight gain, I'm right there with you. I do believe it's due to the huge hormonal fluctuations are bodies are going through and the body having to "think" for itself and get regulated. You might not want to go back on the bc and give it some time to get your body to regulate itself. Hang in there. I know I'm trying and yes, its very frustrating and discouraging. I hope it works out for you.

Closed Thread