It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

birth control query - best method????

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
bluekitten
(female)

bluekitten HB User
birth control query - best method????

im 18 and have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now. we always use a condom when having sex and neither of us have a problem with using them. we are both going to the same university in a weeks time and i was wondering about other methods of birth control, such as the pill. condoms can get expensive and on my loan i'll barely be able to live on it, let alone afford condoms!! me and my bf have talked about me going on the pill but we're not sure if there are any long-term effects of me going on it or whether it's best to stick with condoms as we're comfortable in using them.

any advice welcome.thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
jsjek
(female)

jsjek HB User
Re: birth control query - best method????

Condoms are usually free at most university nurses' office and county Health Departments.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
bluekitten
(female)

bluekitten HB User

didnt know i could get them from uni.

but in england, where i live neway, is a lot of hassle to go to a clinic to get them. you have to go for tests and then answer many questions on your sex life and give them your details which im not really wanting to do!

im not embarassed at what i do with my boyfriend, i jus like to keep my sex life between us two, for the intimate details.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
coty
(female)

coty HB User

Pills can get expensive too, and they could have log term side effects on your healt. I am on the pill and I've been on it for a year and a half for reasons other than sex, and I feel good, but I know that it can be bad for some people. I find they're more expensive than condoms, though.
And each time you go see a doctor for sexual issues you will have to answer a lot of questions.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
bluekitten
(female)

bluekitten HB User

ive never looked at the price of pills tbh. are there any long term effects that are actually known tho..ive heard ppl say it causes this and that but i dont want to take it as definate from word of mouth.

thats the other thing im worried about. Going to university i won't have my normal GP it will be an on-campus one. do confidentiality laws still apply to them if you are not registered with them?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
bluekitten
(female)

bluekitten HB User

Does anyone else have any information about if the pill has any side effects - harmful or not?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
smallgingerone
(female)

smallgingerone HB User

Hi,

I just wanted to add some stuff about doctors when you are at uni. Most uni's will require you to register with a doctor in the city you are attending as you will living there for more time than you would at home. In the vast majority of cases this will be a student health centre of some description. When I was at uni my doctor provided free condoms as did the hall of residence I was in - of course that won't apply after your first year if you are living outside of halls.

As far as i am aware Sexual health clinics can provide free condoms without the appointment. You may need to ask the receptionist but there shouldnt be the awkward questions. The whole point of free contraception is to encourage people to use it and this includes ensuring people aren't embarassed enough not to be able to ask for it!

The pill can have a huge range of side effects, good and bad - a search of this site will tell you that, but it is really difficult to antipate the type of effects you may have. It depends on the many different types of pills out there and how different people react to them. Personally i was on the pill at uni and i found it to be great to be able to know exactly when my period would be and to be able to stop it during exams to have one less thing to worry about.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
bluekitten
(female)

bluekitten HB User

Thanks smallgingerone for that. Has cleared some bits up for me. Think i will do some more research and then seriously consider changing to the pill. Hadnt even thought about exams..plus i would like to enjoy myself while im there

thanks everyone

Closed Thread