It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

mirena IUD info please...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
freespirit41
(female)

freespirit41 HB User
Smile mirena IUD info please...

Hi,

I'm new to these boards, but would like to hear from those of you who have had experience with an IUD. I will have a Mirena IUD inserted next week, and though I've talked with my doctor and have read as much as I can, I would like to hear from those who have actually experienced this and how it makes you feel. I am 41yrs old with one child, and I want off the pill now, I want less hormones controlling me, as my body changes in these years, and don't want to get pregnant again. I am reading that a variety of reactions from this and would like to hear pros and cons.... thanks!!

Last edited by freespirit41; 09-09-2007 at 12:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
baj406
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: mirena IUD info please...

I am 22 and have one child. My husband and I both agree that we want more children, but not anytime soon. It seemed to us that Mirena was one of the simplest and most effective forms of birth control we could get. It allows us to be spontaneous, because as I'm sure you know, having an infant in the house you have to jump when opportunity knocks, but I don't have to remember to take a pill at the same time every day. I've had mirena for about a month and haven't really noticed any side effects. I also haven't had any spotting. I was never on BC b4 my son was born (we just used condoms) so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but if anything it seems like my mood has improved. I've gained a couple pounds but I think that was more due to having stopped breast feeding. I hope you have a good experience. The only downside I had with it was insertion was VERY crampy for me. I so wished I'd had someone who could have driven me home. Good luck.

Last edited by baj406; 09-10-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
xstar
(female)

xstar HB User
Lightbulb Re: mirena IUD info please...

I'm 21, mother of one, and I've been using Mirena for about 3 months now. I must say, whoever tells you that you'll feel cramps like a menstrual period was lying. It was way worse than a menstrual cramp for me. As soon as they put it in, I started cramping really bad a couple minutes later. I was very weak, and nauseated to the point I felt like I could pass out. On top of that, I had to drive myself home, so make sure you have someone to drive you. When I got home I just wanted to lay in bed and not do anything considering I was in so much pain. Also, I had my period for almost 3 months straight, it is finally not as bad but I'm still spotting every now and then.

I also had a recent CT Scan done because I was having very bad stomach pains and they found out that I have a cyst on my ovaries, and a cyst on my spleen, which that is being further looked into, so I don't know what the cause is for sure. I'm just guessing the cyst on my ovaries was from Mirena. If I remember correctly that is one of the side effects. Although, I'm not completely sure that is what caused it.

As for the long run, I think it is a pretty good choice, although the beginning isn't too much fun, things seem to be getting better for me, other than the cysts. So I hope you don't have as much trouble as I had.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Fertile_Myrtle
(female)

Fertile_Myrtle HB User
Unhappy Re: mirena IUD info please...

I had the Mirena IUD put in after my 2nd son was born last Sept. I had it in for a total of 8 months and out of the 8 months, I bled 6 1/2 months total. I was constantly nauceous and very moody. I had horrible mood swings, back cramps and headaches.

But I've also had issues with every other birth control method I've tried. I got pregnant twice on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. While on the shot, I bled all the time. Obviously, the IUD was supposed to be a good option for me, and it didn't hold up either. I'm currently on Femcon FE pills..... so far, so good. No spotting, no cramps, but I have to take a pill everyday.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 AM   #5
athome1
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

Like you I'm hoping to get the IUD in soon. I'm also looking forward to what you think about it. My doctor told me that it was great. I have 3 kids and am 29 years old. We are officially done having children, so I though this was a better option than the pill, which with 3 kids I ALWAYS forget to take. (that's why we have 3! lol) I was on the Depo shot years ago and found the experience HORRIBLE. My doctor assured me that this would be much much better. We'll see!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
freespirit41
(female)

freespirit41 HB User

Hi there,
Just wanted to anwer back on my experience with Mirena since I had it inserted.... the insert part was not comfortable at all, and I cramped right as the doctor was measuring my uterus, the actual insertion of mirena was fine, and afterwards I have had very, very mild cramping on and off, and just a little spotting,
I got my first period on time, and its very light. So far I am very pleased and I feel great! No more pills and the moodiness it creates! I go back this week for a check up w/ mirena, which is the norm. For me so far, I'm glad for it!

Closed Thread