It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Are generics still effective?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
worrier23
(female)

worrier23 HB User
Are generics still effective?

I've been on Seasonique but of course my Dr. didn't put in the right perscription and now I'm stuck with a generic form of it. My main concern is that the side effects will increase on the generic brand, like mood swings. Are generic pills still 99% effective when taken perfectly, like the brand name? Do they increase side effects?
Thank you for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
dustoffkid
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Are generics still effective?

generics are the same thing.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Tivo123
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

The active ingredients in any generic medication are exactly the same as the name brand. Sometimes, there are differences in the inactive ingredients, but that's not always the case.

Any different effects that people report are usually more psychological and less actual than they would have you believe. Just because people assume it will work differently, then it appears like it does. But in reality, it's all in their head.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
rrhjsh812
(female)

rrhjsh812 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo123 View Post
The active ingredients in any generic medication are exactly the same as the name brand. Sometimes, there are differences in the inactive ingredients, but that's not always the case.

Any different effects that people report are usually more psychological and less actual than they would have you believe. Just because people assume it will work differently, then it appears like it does. But in reality, it's all in their head.

Actually, that's not totally right. Generic drugs can contain from 75% up to 150% of the drug. Therefore, that's why a lot of women end up pregnant after taking generics. You just never know -- generic drugs are great in some cases, but personally, I wouldn't mess with generics for birth control or any kind of cardiovascular meds.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
MusicElle
(female)

MusicElle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhjsh812 View Post
Actually, that's not totally right. Generic drugs can contain from 75% up to 150% of the drug. Therefore, that's why a lot of women end up pregnant after taking generics. You just never know -- generic drugs are great in some cases, but personally, I wouldn't mess with generics for birth control or any kind of cardiovascular meds.
If generic birth control is less effective then it wouldn't even be made because there would be too many law suits for the drug companies to stay in business. Yes they may differ slightly in the amount of hormones that end up in the blood stream not more than 10%, but they are still 99.9% effective they still have to prove their effectiveness to the FDA they still have to go through the same testing. Alot of women dont end up pregnant from generics. Most of the women who end up pregnant while taking birth control pills get pregnant because they took their pills incorrectly. Maybe some of them blame it on generics but just as many women end up pregnant taking "name brand" pills. In fact in many states generics are mandated by law unless the doctor writes "NO GENERICS" on the perscription. The pills that are being accused of having lower effectiveness are super LOW dose pills with 20mcg of estrogen or less. Most of these pills are so new they don't even have generics yet.

Last edited by MusicElle; 09-14-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Thisby
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhjsh812 View Post
Actually, that's not totally right. Generic drugs can contain from 75% up to 150% of the drug. Therefore, that's why a lot of women end up pregnant after taking generics.
In Canada, and I would expect in the US too, all drugs, generic or not, are very carefully regulated just like the name brands and there is no way such variations would be legal. They are governed by the same laws and regulations as the orignal patent holders. So unless you are buying these no-name drugs off the internet from unknown sources, there is no reason not to trust them.

Closed Thread