It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Embarrassing Pill Question!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
sylviad
(female)

sylviad HB User
Embarrassing Pill Question!

Hey guys. Well... I'm posting because I have a very very sad problem. When I was little I had a near full-out encounter with choking -- literally had something lodged in my throat, etc.

Ever since this I cannot swallow pills. It's certainly become a full-out phobia.

Just started birth control. Was too embarrassed to tell my doc I didn't want pills. Plus, they're SUPER tiny. I should be able to swallow them, right?

Wrong.

I just can't do it. I've been trying to break this phobia. Until then, I've been trying to break the pill into a few pieces (in a plastic bag to ensure that nothing falls out). I'm 100% sure I'm digesting 99% of the pill that's been given. Today, I tried to swallow it but ended up kind of... letting it dissolve in my mouth / eventually swallowing whatever was left (maybe half of the pill after I had kind of let the rest dissolve).

So technically, I'm getting the medication... only I'm worried it may not be effective? I haven't really run into a problem before -- I take ibuprofen relatively often and it works even if I crush it up and swallow tiny pieces.

However, birth control is a more serious thing and I don't want to jeopardize its ability to prevent pregnancy!!

Anyone else have this pill-swallowing problem? I take it probably everyone here doesn't. But if anyone knows for SURE whether or not full-out swallowing a birth control pill could have a negative effect, I'd appreciate a response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
IrishPrinces426
(female)

IrishPrinces426 HB User
Re: Embarrassing Pill Question!

I know how it is to have a pill swallowing problem. I had one for a few years. I started off by cutting pills into pieces and gradually got the pieces bigger and bigger before I was able to swallow the whole pill.

There is something else I did to be able to swallow pills. Have you tried putting them in like applesauce or pudding or yogurt or something like that. Get a spoonful of that and put the pill in it and the put the whole spoonful in your mouth and swallow. This is the best way to ensure that you are getting the whole pill. It is best to swallow the whole pill to get the full effect.

Also, just to make life really easy, there is a birth control pill that is chewable. You know whats funny, that is the first thing I should have mentioned. If you are unable to swallow pills, talk to your doctor about getting the chewable ones.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
sylviad
(female)

sylviad HB User

Wow, chewable! Sweet! I feel so silly asking, but I suppose I'm not alone. Thanks a lot. : )

You've got a good idea with the apple sauce... I never actually thought of that one. Thanks!!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
Thisby
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I have a friend who has to break up her pills and eat the bits with something, she may even grind it up. She has done this for years.

btw, it is important to eat the whole pill, but it is not important to eat the pill whole, if you catch the difference.

and another btw, did you know you don't have to take the pills orally? You can insert them vaginally, lol. Seriously. Maybe you could ask your doc about that, although I'd still probably prefer to grind them up if I had that phobia .

Old 09-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
jen52983
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Growing up I had a problem swallowing pills... sometimes now it still bothers me, depending on the size.

I used to do the crushing method and sprinkling it over food. *gag!* Once my mom gave me icecream, rocky road, and I bit into what I thought was an almond.. nope.. it was my anti-biotic! Ick!!

I think the taste of the medication vs the swallowing is what finally got me to get over my fear. Sometimes it takes a few attempts. I have to keep telling myself, "you swallow pieces of food bigger than this!!"

BC gives me no problems.. probably b/c it is so tiny.

Anyway.. my advice is the same as already said... just wanted to share my experience! Since it is so tiny, and if the chewable pills dont work out, I think that putting it in applesauce or something would be best.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
kellycatherine7
(female)

kellycatherine7 HB User

Just like some of the others have stated....ask your doctor about the chew able one. That would be the most convient. Then you won't have to worry about breaking the pill up all the time. Make your life simpler.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
AnnD
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Don't be embarrassed to tell your doctor anything...they have heard it all besides you are not the only person that can't swallow pills. My mom can't and not because of anything happening in her life she just has a small throat or gosh even she doesn't know but you really need to tell your doctor. Your pills may be time released or just need to be whole and crushing will destroy that function and not work. Pick up the phone and call the Drs office and speak to the nurse and tell her that you just can't swallow pills of any size crushed or otherwise(you don't have to speak of your past unless you want to) and ask for a different form of BC. Perhaps someday you might want to speak to a therapist to work your way through the not swallowing issue. After all you are alive so you can eat and drink and if you didn't know you were taking a pill you could swallow it?..just a thought. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
sylviad
(female)

sylviad HB User

Insert them vaginally? wow. I had no idea. Wow... the types of things I learn on this forum!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-21-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Vulgar language is not allowed, even disguised. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
sylviad
(female)

sylviad HB User

Thing is, I'm not sure crushing / breaking it up would really 'not work' or destroy the function of the pill. I am still ingesting it, right? Are you sure it might not work?

But definitely, the next time I'm at the doc's, I'm asking for an alternative...

Thanks. : )

Old 09-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
AnnD
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

To be sure you can crush give your drs office a call or the pharmacy to be sure...better safe than pregnant...unless of course you really would rather be pregnant?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Georgette
(female)

Georgette HB User

Funny I should stumble across this because I have the same problem and raised the issue two weeks ago with my gyno. I have real trouble swallowing pills as well, so I asked her if it is okay to chew them and she said yes. That has actually made it easier for me to swallow them, because I now know that if I am having problems swallowing, I can just go ahead and chew it. I have also heard of a chewable brand. That might be worth pursuing.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
sylviad
(female)

sylviad HB User

Thank you kindly for your post, Georgette! This is really good to know. It's funny -- I think my birth control pills actually taste... pretty decent. Haha. So this helps. I don't even mind if I don't have the chewable ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
Funny I should stumble across this because I have the same problem and raised the issue two weeks ago with my gyno. I have real trouble swallowing pills as well, so I asked her if it is okay to chew them and she said yes. That has actually made it easier for me to swallow them, because I now know that if I am having problems swallowing, I can just go ahead and chew it. I have also heard of a chewable brand. That might be worth pursuing.

Closed Thread