It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Yasmin or Yaz?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
kellycatherine7
(female)

kellycatherine7 HB User
Yasmin or Yaz?

Just curious to know which one is a better pill....what have some of you experienced while taking them? Also a major problem for me with BC's are pimples and yeast infections. Any complaints on yaz or yasmin as far as that goes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
jen52983
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Re: Yasmin or Yaz?

I dont think one can be declared better than the other.. its really just about which one works better for you.

Im currently on Yasmin and have had a good experience over all:
Lessened or no mood swings
No more depression
No more crippling cramps
(these were my top 3 reasons for using Yasmin. Being that Yasmin has a lower dose of estrogen, your emotions are less likely to go haywire during pms! Yasmin is made to help balance your hormones during pms)

some bonsus I experienced:
No weight gain
No bloating
fewer menstraul breakouts
no more body aches
lessened craving for sweets

Some side effects I had:
A week long headache/migraine (for the first week)
Nausea the first two weeks
having to pee alot! (Yasmin reduces water retention, which is why I had no bloating during my period, but it does seem to make you have to pee for often!)

I did stop taking Yasmin for about 3 months at one point and my face basically exploded with acne. I held out almost 3 months before I went back on the pill (not just for the acne). It took about a full month back on the pill for my skin to go back to normal.

I don't really know much about Yaz. Try doing an online search for the difference between the two.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Ruffian29
(female)

Ruffian29 HB User
Smile Re: Yasmin or Yaz?

sorry for the late reply-
I've taken both Yasmin and Yaz. I was on Yasmin for months and was pretty happy with it. My periods are still a bit heavy and long but I have yet to find a pill that makes that better for me. I switched for yaz simply because my gyno had free samples and wasn't getting any more free samples of Yasmin and my health insurance runs up really soon.
as soon as i was on yaz i had terrible mood swings (although, i wouldn't even call them mood swings, it seemed i was ALWAYS in a bad mood), and breakthrough bleeding that lasted a good three weeks- until I went back on the Yasmin. Since I was happy with the Yasmin to begin with I didn't think a whole lot about switching back, I definitely didn't want to wait 3 months to get used to yaz, which is how long my doctor said it could take. If anything the toll the moodiness was taking on my relationship was not worth it.
On Yasmin I dont get cramps at all, my face is pretty clear, everything is pretty good- its just expensive (though i'd assume yaz is the same) and my periods are still long and heavy... but its something I've learned that I just have to deal with.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
candigirl13
(female)

candigirl13 HB User

Wow, Ruffian29 I was in the exact same situation and had exactly the same experience with Yaz and Yasmin. I was on Yasmin for a couple months and then I was not covered by insurance any longer (it's a long and messed up story) so my doctor told me that she had sample of Yaz but not Yasmin. She told me they were pretty much the same and Yaz might actually make my periods shorter. Well I was on it for 4 months. I was hoping that the initial side effects would go away, but no such luck. I was moody which was pretty much me being in a bad mood all the time. It was affecting my relationship and causing fights between my boyfriend and I. I would cry for no reason what so ever. I gained weight. I was depressed for no reason. I had break through bleeding that last for weeks. It was just over all really bad. So after the 4 months were up and I had no samples left, I called my doctor and had her write me a prescription for Yasmin again because I just couldn't take it anymore. Once I was back on Yasmin it took about a month to go back to the way it was before I switched but now it's been about 6 months and that was the best decision I've ever made. I hardly ever get pimples and if I do it's like one that lasts for three days and is gone. But they are few and far between. I haven't gained anymore weight. I'm not depressed anymore. My periods are normal and they come the same day every month and go away the same day every month. I love Yasmin and I hated Yaz. I hope maybe that will help you a little bit with your decision. :-)

Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
kyia225
(female)

kyia225 HB User

I have not taken Yasmin, but tried Yaz. It was my first go with birth control. Around the time I started Yaz, I also received a promotion at work which put me at a different building. About 2 weeks after starting Yaz, I developed an itchy rash, that my Dr. told me was an allergic reaction to Yaz. So I stopped taking it, took a week long dose of steriod pills, but the rash came back, although not as bad. I went back to the Dr. and then she proceeded to tell me I was allergic to all these different things, including the same laundry detergent I've been using for 6 months. To make a long story short, a family friend (and Dr.) determined I have hives. They come & go sometimes but overall aren't too bad. My gyno has told me that Yaz had nothing to do with the hives, but I can't help but wonder if the combination of changing workplaces, starting Yaz, etc all together made the hives come out. Whatever the case is, I'm not on Yaz right now. Currently I'm on Seasonique, but hope to get on something different after the first of the year for cost reasons.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
lagirlkelly
(female)

lagirlkelly HB User

I've been on Yasmin since last September but have never been on Yaz. I haven't had any problems with weight gain, breakthrough bleeding, cramping or yeast infections, and its cleared up my acne. My only complaint with the Yasmin is anxiety attacks.

Kelly

Closed Thread