It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Side Effects from Going Off The Pill...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Sutton2007
(female)

Sutton2007 HB User
Thumbs down Side Effects from Going Off The Pill...

I am new to the health boards…and I guess I am not the only female struggling with side effects from going off the BC.
I have been on the pill for 15 years and got married, so of course, I went off the pill about a month ago. I think that I am experiencing every side effect there is possible to experience. I remember fifteen years ago, I went on the pill for reasons due to long and drawn out periods, also really bad cramps. Later on in my life I remained on it, because of relationships...
We are not trying to get pregnant, but I figured I would get off BC in order for my body to be ready. I am thinking of going back on it, because of the uncontrollable mood swings (crying and extremely emotional, irritable from one minute to the next), the acne (in places that I never had acne before, it sucks, and they are itchy), cramps, longer period (I had one right after I got off my BC), trouble sleeping (insomnia), and still experiencing migraines through out the month. I am not sure if other women have experienced it, but pain in the ovaries area during intercourse. This is a new one for me.
Being on the pill and going off it, has not affected my libido at all. Well I guess I have one positive outcome.
I can put up with some of these symptoms, but the acne is really uncomfortable and seems to be getting worse. I have not seen my doctor about any of these side effects that I am experiencing. I did not consult with my family doctor about abruptly stopping the BC. Life is really easier being on the pill…..but I do not want to rely on BC anymore!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Side Effects from Going Off The Pill...

It's a tough road for some women to quit the pill. I was on 15 years also when I finally quit. I had some side effects that lasted for a while. Some of them lasted longer than others. I'd say the acne was one of those unexpected things that lasted for about 3-4 months after quitting. The daily cramping feeling was for about 2-3 months. The moodiness was kind of off and on. And my libido took a really long time to return, but it's finally back. And the hot flashes, which were almost daily, finally started tapering, but I still have them (which is really annoying!).

I stuck it out and i'm glad I did. It's been over a year for me since I quit, and I'm fine.

See, I originally went on for heavy bleeding and painful cramps. The first time I quit many years ago, the bleeding was really heavy so I went back on. This time I decided to quit for good because I didn't want to be forcing those fake hormones into my body anymore. Well as it turns out, the heavy bleeding and bad cramps (which I still had on the pill by the way), turned out to be polyps. I had about 3 of them that had to be removed. Not once, but twice in a 5 month timespan. Who knows how long they were there, but the pill was just masking the problem and I didn't know until I went off that they were there.

I'd say maybe go consult with an endocrinologist for some hormone testing. I'm sure your hormones are all whack right now. But also, I'd say you should visit a gynecologist to see about having an vaginal ultrasound to see if you have anything like polyps or cysts or anything. Those kinds of things can cause the heavy bleeding and/or painful cramps. I'd say go check all that stuff out and see what's going on before going back on the pill. But most of all, give your body some time to get all of that garbage out of your system. The pill really messes up a woman's body, and it's really important to give yourself enough time to detox. For me, it's been absolutely worth it. It was hard, I won't lie, but it was definitely worth it.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
RumRunner01
(female)

RumRunner01 HB User

I hear ya, believe me, I do! I was on the pill for about 18 years when I stopped in conjunction with having an endometrial ablation and a tubal ligation. I was one who was very happy on the pill, I had no problems on it other than some PMS bloating. But other than that, I had no issues whatsoever.

BUT.... when I stopped it (2 weeks after my ablation and tubal) I noticed some very adverse effects about 2 months later. It's hard for me to tell if the symptoms I had were due to the ablation, the tubal, or coming off the pill or all three in different levels or just a huge whammy.

Anyway, the first two months I was fine, just like I was while I was on the pill. However, it was month 3,4 & 5 that were AWFUL!!! I had physical, emotional, and mental issues for most of the month. There was about 1.5 weeks out of each of those three months I was like me. During those months I would ovulate on the 14th day and it was like a mini-period. It would begin on about day 12 (so only a few days after my period would end) with severe bloating, emotional swings, acne on the face, back, chest, and arms, cramping, mental fuzzines, nausea, and more. Then that would pass by around day 16 or 17 of my cycle then I'd have almost a whole week of peace before I started in on the PMS. PMS would run for an entire week prior to my period actually beginning. The PMS was awful, I was mentally fuzzy, emotions were all over the place (crying at the drop of a hat, getting very irritable and thinking irrationally), the acne was back all over my body, severe bloating, headaches, fatigue, diahrea, cramping, and more but I can't think of all of it. All I know is I would look down on myself behaving so irrationally and say "that is not me!".

I just completed one month where I was back to myself as I was on the pill. I'm thinking that it took a full six months for my body to heal and adjust to the ablation, the tubal, and get used to being off the pill. I am entering the 7th month and hope that the good trend continues. I was at a point that I was ready to start taking a left over pack of pill I had and demanding that my gyn put me back on the pill when I next saw him.

All I can say is hang in there, it hopefully will get better, but it takes a lot more time than we all think.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Sutton2007
(female)

Sutton2007 HB User
Post Re: Side Effects from Going Off The Pill...

Thanks so much in replying to my post....I appreciate all the information that women are experiencing. Well its been two months...almost...I should be having my peroid but nothing is happening. As for not being myself I understand completely....I guess I have a good husband too...
I guess I have to look at it positively and remain optimistic...knowing that it will get better and my body will improve. One thing I really like is having no dry skin...yes I have the acne (but not too bad), but my skin is no longer dry on my body...
No one ever said that it was not easy being a woman....hehe

Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
RumRunner01
(female)

RumRunner01 HB User

Just a follow up on my situation. I had mentioned I had a good month in September with no bad issues with hormones, unfortunatley that did not last long. So far October has been very up and down as far as the emotional symptoms go. I'm due to start my period on Sunday or Monday but a few days after I ovulated for this cycle I had a *terrible* emotional roller coaster that lasted 3 days. Almost as bad as the one I had in August. It's very frustrating and I just want it to be done. I'm keeping detailed logs of every day and what happens with the hopes my gyn will put me back on the pill when I see him for my annual in December.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Crookedgirl
(female)

Crookedgirl HB User

I have been on the pill for 2 years and stopped it 3 weeks ago because I was having major emotional issues, and I was afraid the way I was emotionally was affecting my relationship with my bf and family. Also, I had no libido while on the pill, and just wanted to take a break from the pill. I have felt so much better with my emotions, but I have no appetite whatsoever, and that is bothering me. I had a couple of days where I had heavy discharge but that seemed to stop yesterday. I also experienced really bad back aches and was wondering if these symptoms are side effects from stopping the pill?

Closed Thread