It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Advice from Non-Hormonal BC Users? Please!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Atti11
(female)

Atti11 HB User
Advice from Non-Hormonal BC Users? Please!

Hi,

The hormones in BCP's just do not agree with me. I have tried them twice for three months each, and each time developed horrible, cystic acne (like, don't want to leave the house kind, I even got a pimple down THERE and some on my back) and I usually have pretty clear skin. I tried Yasmin for 3 months, it was horrible, and was just on Orthocyclen for over 2 and 1/2 months, and finally stopped the 2nd week of the third pack beccause it just is so bad again.

My boyfriend and I always use a condom with spermacide, and plan to continue this, but I was thinking of using the Sponge or some other extra barrier method. Does/Has anybody been sucessful doing this, and if so, would you please give me some tips, pointers, advice? I want to make sure I do everything right.

I asked about the non-hormonal IUD but my Gyno will not give it to me because I have not had a child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
kittywitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Advice from Non-Hormonal BC Users? Please!

I've never used the Sponge. I've used Encare contraceptive inserts. They were too messy, so we stopped using them. I've also used VCF contraceptive film. It worked fine, wasn't messy, and neither of us could feel it at all. However, I developed vaginal irritation from it, so we stopped that one, too. It might work better for you, though, everybody is different.

Last edited by kittywitty; 10-11-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
dolysods
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

Has your doctor ever checked your hormone levels (progesterone, estrogen, testosterone) prior to going on the bcp? Sounds like something is a little off and the bcp increases that. Some times too much progesterone can cause acne or too little. Fine line..

Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Atti11
(female)

Atti11 HB User

No I have never heard of doing that- I have an apptment with my gynocologist for next month, and am not taking anything as of last week - is this something she can do? If she tests my levels, would she have a better way of determining what kind of birth control I can take? I would really feel more comfortable on a pill, and am good about remembering it. But I have great, clear skin normally and as soon as I take a BCP, about 2 months into it I develop terrible, terrible cystic acne all over my body and face...mainly the chin region on my face which I was told is hormonal. I really want BCP's to work for me but am losing faith. Plus, I have several trips with my BF planned for the upcoming months, and really want to be clear.

So the last week we have been using spermacidal condoms and VCF contraceptive films, and he's really good about making sure the condom is on correctly, didn't break, etc - but I just wish that I could be on the pills and we wouldnt have to worry so much because although we do want kids eventually, we don't want them until AFTER we get married and yada yada ;-)

Thanks SO much for your replies

Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
dolysods
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

With some doctors it will help. They may just say it is a trial and error thing. But she would be able to tell how high your progesterone is and where you are in your cycle. I have a chart at home that my homeopathic doc drew for me.

I used to have cystic acne, still take minocycline occasionally. I even did a round of accutane in 94.

I forget.. have you tried a bcp that is estrogen only? or one of the triphasic? the triphasic has a different level of hormone each week.. tries to mimic your body's natural estrogen/progesterone peaks.

One thing you can do to help your doc if you do go back on a bcp.. is keep a daily log. I have been for about 8 months. It started out for my new family doc (young.. anti pain med and anti decongestant..because of rebound possibilities)to track my sinus pain etc. I really found out some things that contributed to my sinus issues.. i'm always cold and have a heater on at work. .that would dry me out. Just the little things. For my cycle i would have what day that i was on and if it was a bcp day, if there was significant mood change, breast swelling, acne etc. That way you can track patterns and maybe get your levels tested during that time.

Have you considered the new IUD? or maybe it is a iup? i've seen it on tv. No hormones involved there

Closed Thread