It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Can you postpone a period with POPs?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
sherue
(female)

sherue HB User
Can you postpone a period with POPs?

I am currently taking Micronor and there is no "sugar pill". Everything I have read about postponing/delaying a period mentions to skip that week, but these pills do not have a free week, does anyone know?

I thought I would ask here before trying to reach my physician which takes sooo long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Can you postpone a period with POPs?

At the end of the pill pack, do you automatically start another pack or do you wait a week, and thats when you get your period? IF you automatically start another pack, you shouldnt be bleeding...but if you wait the week, you should be.
If you want to postpone your period, go right into the next pack of pills without stopping even a day..you shouldnt get your period at all. My doc says it ok to do that now and then, but you should check with your doctor before you do it just to be sure!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
sherue
(female)

sherue HB User

The pill I take is to be taken everyday, 28 pills a pack, but I have just been on it for 2 months so haven't really figured out a schedule or if I'll ever get one. For example when I started month #1 I had my period the 17th day after starting the pack, the next month it was 12 days into the pack.

Pretty mind boggling to guesstimate when I'll have my January period when I go to Cancun.

Thanks for your reply though, I think I'll contact my Doc one of these days and inquire more about it and find out what my options are.

The Following User Says Thank You to sherue For This Useful Post:
Lovelife77 (06-22-2012)
Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Sherue,
Please do contact your doc about this. You shouldnt be bleeding like that on the pill- its very possible its just breakthru bleeding which can normally happen the first few months on a new pill, but Id be curious as to why you are bleeding so irregularly.
I have a feeling it will stop, the irregularity of it, but you should talk to your doc in the meantime....let us know how you are.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
MusicElle
(female)

MusicElle HB User

Im not sure the other posters realize that with the progestin only pills like the one you are on there is no designated week to get your period, you take an active pill everyday with no break and you get your period whenever it decides to come, these pills are known to cause irregular periods. POP's work a bit differently than conbined pills, there is no estrogen in them and they do not always surpress oveulation, they work more by thickening the cervical mucous to prevent sprem from reacing the egg, this is why it is very, very important to take them at the exact same time everyday. They work as well as combined pill except you do not have as much forgiveness for missing pills or taking them late. So to answer your question, no there is no way to postpone a period on this type of pill. It is kind of rare for a doctor to put somone on this kind of pill, the combined pills are prefferd by most doctors. The POP's are usually given if you are breastfeeding, have problems with blood clotts, are over 35 and a smoker or for any other reason that would make taking estrogen dangerous.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
sherue
(female)

sherue HB User

Yes exactly, I do not like the side effects myself but I do fall into the over 35 and a smoker category, that is why I am taking that type of pill, I need to look more into my options.

I was a long time IUD user but had that removed 2 months ago due to it being in for over 10 years. My insurance does not cover them.

Last edited by sherue; 12-03-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
MusicElle
(female)

MusicElle HB User

it suck that your insurance does not cover the IUD but, it may still be cheaper in the longrun if you use it for a long time, though I know how comming up with all the money at once would be a pain.

Closed Thread