It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• is it ok to start the pill(yasmin)now?(not the 1 day of period)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
    chocolate00
    (female)

chocolate00 HB User
    is it ok to start the pill(yasmin)now?(not the 1 day of period)

The only thing I know is that yesterday I had ovulation for sure 100%.I can't wait to start it after 2 weeks.It is the first time that I will take a birth control pill (for contraception and fixing my irregular period)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: is it ok to start the pill(yasmin)now?(not the 1 day of period)

Is there any particular reason why you think you can't wait until your period starts? If you know for sure that you ovulated yesterday, then it should only be a week at the most. There's really no reason why you can't wait that long.

I know you said your period is already irregular, but the problem with starting the pill not during your period is that is messes up your cycle even more. It's like you're throwing your hormones into a tailspin. That's not good. You really don't want to do that. You should wait.

Last edited by Kszan; 01-10-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
    chocolate00
    (female)

chocolate00 HB User

what should it be only 1 week at the most?
    I know I ovulated yesterday because I went to my gyn doctor and I had a supersonic vibration which showed that.He suggested that I should take the pill.
    My period is irregular because sometimes my cycle is 37 days and some other times 33days.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

You should start taking the pill when your hormones are at their lowest level (not their highest, as in during ovulation), and that is why you should wait until your period starts. If you want to regulate your period, follow the instructions that come will your pills. Most pills state one of two ways to start it: 1) Day 1 start, taking it starting on the first day of your period or 2) Sunday start, taking it the Sunday after your period starts. The pp is right, you will screw up your hormones if you take it at any other time.

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-10-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
    chocolate00
    (female)

chocolate00 HB User

So if I take the pill today (2days after ovulation) when will my next period come?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

There seems to be a lot that you don't understand about your cycle. For a woman NOT on the pill, after ovulation, your hormones start stimulating the uterine lining to begin the build up in order to shed during the menstrual period. Once that process begins, for you to chemically alter it by taking the pill at this point in time is going to totally confuse your body. Essentially, you're going to have a ton of problems. I predict that if you begin the pill at this point in your cycle, you will have off and on breakthrough bleeding and/or spotting until your body calms down and gets back into some kind of rhythm again. That could take anywhere from a month to several months. Judging by some of the posts I've seen on here from other girls who started the pill at the wrong time, it could take a while to clear that up and get back to normal again.

I understand that your period is irregular and you want to regulate it by going on the pill. That's totally fine, and that's what a lot of women use it for. However, if you start at the wrong time, you're only going to make things a lot worse on yourself in the long run. That's why I really strongly urge you to wait until either the day of your period or the Sunday after your period starts to begin taking the pill. To begin taking it any other time is just asking for a ton of hassle, which I'm sure you don't want for yourself.

Just as an added FYI, a lot of women go to their gynecologists the week before their period, because they are having a wedding or a vacation or some other special occaision, and they want to try to skip their period using the pill. But the problem is that you have to start doing that a month in advance, to ensure the process of your cycle is interrupted at the right time to make the hormone levels not jump so drastically. That's the whole point of why the pill package clearly states to either begin the first day of your period or the Sunday after it starts. That's the only way to preserve your hormone levels upon going on the pill.

Last edited by Kszan; 01-11-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
    chocolate00
    (female)

chocolate00 HB User

Thank you for your answer!I am probably going to wait until I get my period.
    I am sorry to ask you again but I see that you know a lot about cycle ,so I would be grateful if you could give me your opinion on this:
    on 12-24 I had some spots.My period came 12-27 and lasted 6days as usual.On 1-9 I had ovulation. Normally my period should come at 1-23 but because of my irregular periods I believe that it is going to come at 2-1.
    Meaning;
    I had ovulation 13days after my period came and my next period is going to come 23 days after ovulation instead of 14 that it should.
    Can you tell me what do you think of this?Do I have a hormonal problem?my doctor told me that my cycle will be fixed when I will start the pill and therefore there is no need for hormonal tests to see what's wrong with my cycle.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

From what I've read, an irregular period isn't always due to a hormonal problem. And the doctor is probably right that once you go on the pill, it will regulate your cycle. We don't know for sure when your next period will come, I mean I think that at this point, it's all just guessing. You never know, it might come closer to day 28, but it may not. There's no way to know for sure.

All I can really suggest is just wait and see when it comes. And definitely keep track of your cycles on a calendar, so you can start seeing whether the pill is regulating it correctly. That will help you the next time you go see the doctor, because I'm sure the first question you will be asked is when you had your last period.

Closed Thread