It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Mirena--Does anyone have Mirena?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
    Ashley9045
    Veteran
    (female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User
    Mirena--Does anyone have Mirena?

Hello,
    I am supposed to get a Mirena in the next few weeks due to heavy, heavy monthly bleeding from fibroids. Instead of taking out my uterus the doctor wants to try to cut down on the bleeding with Mirena first before we go the more serious route of the surgery. I have been reading so many negative side effects on this device. My doctor acted like it was nothing to have this thing inserted, she made it sound like there would basically be no side effects, that is not what I am reading..Actually, it is very scary reading the things I did. I am anemic at the moment, but who wants, back pain, weight gain, etc.... and a long line of symptoms.

Has anyone had Weight gain, or have been sick since they have gotten this. I know I need to stop the bleeding because it made me anemic etc... but if this thing is going to cause another round of problems, I am afraid to do this. I am thinking, why can't I just take a low dose birth control pill. Does anyone have any feedback for me? Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
    andyswife72904
    (female)

andyswife72904 HB User
    Smile Re: Mirena--Does anyone have Mirena?

I just had Mirena put in a little over 3 weeks ago. My reasons were mainly to control very heavy bleeding and clotting and periods that would last for months without stopping, however I do not have fibroids. I had previously been on birth control pills (Ortho TriCyclen) to regulate my periods, which my doctor said I needed to get off of because the estrogen was causing me to have high blood pressure and because of my age (I'm 46). Having the Mirena inserted was fairly painful, but I did not take any painkillers prior and also my doctor used nothing for numbing and I was not on my period, all of which I believe would have helped. It wasn't beyond what I could stand, but it was very uncomfortable for the few minutes it took to get it inserted. Immediately I started cramping, which were fairly severe, but Ibuprofen helped. I also spotted for a few days. Then a few days of nothing. My period started about a week later, which was my normal time and was about normal as far as amount of bleeding, but it lasted for about a week and a half. Since then I've been spotting, but now the past couple of days it has pretty much stopped and I have no cramping. I do already notice that I am having more acne, but so far not extreme. I also read several different boards prior to having Mirena put in and I also was nearly scared out of it, but what I have experienced is not nearly as bad as what I had myself braced for. I decided that the chance of having no more periods and being able to live my life again was worth dealing with some discomfort and a few side effects. So far no weight gain or headaches or anything else unusual. I don't regret having it put in at all and have no thought of having it removed. I know that everyone reacts to things differently, but I am quite happy with it, at least so far! Hope that helps!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User
    Re: Mirena--Does anyone have Mirena?

I am dealing with the same issues as the original poster. I am unsure as to what to do also. I wish I could have the uterus removed. I don't know what to do. My estrogen level is low and I am anemic. I don't have fibroids but do have heavy periods that have made me anemic. My mood swings are crazy. My dr. also wants me to have this thing inserted-they must get a cut of the profits-I swear! But, I am unsure. I am also considering a procedure called ablation-but that is because I am sure that I won't want anymore kids. (Got to know that one for sure prior as they remove the inner lining of the uterus-for good.) I dunno what to do. I also might consider a total hysterectomy due to family history of cancer. (I already have had exposure to HPVmany years ago and a polyp is currently on my cervix-dr. says hey no problem! Wha?) So, I am lost as to what to do. All choices suck as I still have to take some kind of hormone no matter the resolution for the anemia. Yikes!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
    MinMin24
    (female)

MinMin24 HB User
    Re: Mirena--Does anyone have Mirena?

Hi I am in the same situation as the two girls who have some concerns about Mirena. I am 28 years old and never had a baby and do suffer from severe cramps as well as very heavy periods and at my dr's appointment a couple of days ago my dr suggested putting me on mirena. I have heard that having Mirena inserted is very painful but my dr wants to put it in during my period as she said that will help ease some of the pain...but my concerns are what will some of the side effects be as well as the pain when wanting to have it removed. Like I said I am 28 and have not had any children and may want to have it removed sonner and am worried about the removal process as well. I am looking for a little more information before making a decision.

Closed Thread