It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Some ? about Yaz and Ceftin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
    UpNAtom77
    (female)

UpNAtom77 HB User
    Question Some ? about Yaz and Ceftin

Hi all,

I am on Yaz (and have been for 7 months--been on the pill in general for 6 years), and recently came down with one mother of a sinus infection/bronchitis bout. My Dr. said that I needed antibiotics and prescribed cefuroxime, which according to the label on my pill bottle and the printout from the pharmacy, is the generic form of Ceftin. I've been on the 10-day schedule, tomorrow is the last day.

Like everyone else, many times over the years I've heard that antibiotics can make BCPs less effective. But I've also heard recently that it's been found that this is only true for some, very specific antibiotics. There wasn't any mention of how the antibiotic effects the pill bottle or in the pharmacy printout, but my Dr. does know that I am on the pill. So does my pharmacy, as I used the same one for all of my prescriptions. Neither one has mentioned there being a problem. Still, hubby and I have used condoms when we've had sex.

Long story short, tomorrow will not only be the last day of my antibiotics, but also the day I take my last "active" pill of this month's pack. I typically start my "pill period" on the first or second day of the next month's pack, which would be next Friday/Saturday. So here's my questions:

1.) Is it true that only certain antibiotics lower the pills effectiveness?
    2.) If Ceftin does lower my pill's effectiveness, when would hubby and I be safe to have unprotected sex again? Would we be ok after my period, or do we need to wait longer?

And a slightly unrelated question..

--Hubby came down with the same bronchitis symptoms that I had, but when he went to the Dr. he was given Eyrthromyicin. I was not given that antibiotic because I am very much allergic to it.

So I have to ask...even when we're safe to have unprotected sex again, is there a possibility that his semen could contain the Eyrthomyicin and cause a reaction in me?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread