It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Constant Bleeding 6+ Months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
    kabxb04
    (female)

kabxb04 HB User
    Unhappy Constant Bleeding 6+ Months

I'm new here and hoping that someone can offer some support. I'm at my wits end with this bleeding. Here's a short version of my story.

On 2/5/09 I took an injection of Depo Provera to try to control my heavy, long and frequent periods (20 day cycles, 10 day periods= 1 1/2 weeks at a time without bleeding.)
    It did not help. I bled moderately for 14 weeks with no break. I did not get a 2nd injection. I had horrible mood swings, acne, and an immediate 15 lb. weight gain.

In August I went to my OB/GYN to discuss other options and she suggested birth control pills to regulate my period. I was reluctant since I had problems taking them when I was a teenager. 7 days of bleeding every 14 days on several different brands of pills. Nevertheless, I agreed to try again.

I was prescribed a 10 day course of Provera 10/mg to bring on a "real" period. After getting what may have been the most wretched menses in history, I began taking Yasmin (generic: Ocella) and was pleased that after the 4th pill, my bleeding stopped. I had so much hope that this would help straighten things out. Much to my dismay, 4 days later the bleeding began again. It wasn't spotting like i expected but a regular flow with small clots. That was Sunday... it's now Thursday and it's showing no signs of stopping. I've been continuing with the pill (yes, at the same time every day) because I vowed that I would stick with it until my follow up in November no matter how bad the side effects are.

My OB/GYN has several more avenues for me to explore before surgical options.
    -Nuva Ring will be next.
    I don't know much about it, but she says that I might benefit from the constant level of hormones as opposed to the peaks and lows of the pill.

-Swapping out my Paragard IUD for the Mirena
    I really love my Paragard for birth control. I've had it since 3 weeks after my son was born and have never had a pregnancy scare. Also, I fear that I will bleed continuously through the trial period and then my insurance won't cover to have my Paragard replaced.

If these methods are unsuccessful I will begin the testing to see if I'm a candidate for an endometrial ablation. I understand that this procedure is rarely done on women my age (26) because it will render me infertile (and that's great!!! My husband and I are certain that we do not want to breed).

If the ablation is done and is unsuccessful, I'm on the road to a partial hysterectomy. It's extreme, but there are so many aspects of my life that are suffering from this excessive bleeding. Most days, I just want to cry.

I'm hoping that there is someone here who can offer me some advice. While I don't wish this affliction on anyone, I'm hoping that there is at least one woman out there who has been through this and can tell me that relief will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks for reading this... I'm sorry it got so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread