It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

1 Month of Apri = NONSTOP 20 DAY PERIOD! Doctor wants to start Glucophage! Help! :(

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Jadore
(female)

Jadore HB User
Exclamation 1 Month of Apri = NONSTOP 20 DAY PERIOD! Doctor wants to start Glucophage! Help! :(

I've taken almost two months of the BCP called Apri, in an attempt to correct my deeply imbalanced hormones, help with my Polycistic Ovarian, and aid in my weight loss. I have never been sexually active, and as of now I have no plans to become as such.

I had started spotting the day after taking the first pill, and then had more random spotting/a light period for a day off and on for two weeks. Finally, I had a full blown period start one day, and it hasn't stopped since! I never even made it to the white placebo pills; my doctor told me if I took them, I would be in a world of pain, and so she told me to start a new pack after I finished the third week of red pills.

As of today, I have been on a VERY HEAVY, painful period for 20 days total! I have had back spasms, intense lower abdominal cramps, and pain shooting throughout my thighs. I've already had problems with anemia in the past, and this past week has left me listless and in bed taking lots of naps. I have no energy, and when I walk around my lower body feels terrible, and my bleeding feels perpetual, as if it will NEVER end.

I spoke with my doctor again yesterday, and she told me to, once again, skip the white pills this month and start on a fresh pack again. She mentioned that I may have to start Glucophage, a pill that I took from 8th grade to my freshman year of college, for my PCD and hyperinsulinemia. My doctor at the time told me I could stop taking the Glucophage, as my body had 'corrected itself', and I was SO RELIEVED, because Glucophage did nothing but make me feel terrible, and I saw no real changes in my body.

To hear that I might have to go back onto Glucophage is so disheartening, I can't even explain it. Right now, I'm trying so hard to lose weight; I have a LOT of weight to lose, and I'm genuinely trying to get my act together. My doctor basically told me that if my periods don't normalize themselves by September, she's going to have me take a series of blood tests and get me onto the Glucophage. I'm hoping if I lose some significant weight between now and then, that step won't be necessary. Unfortunately, whenever I've lost weight and started exercising in the past, my periods will come back full force. (Sometimes I can go 4 - 5 months without one!) So I'm kind of concerned about the weight loss 'backfiring' in the short term, even though it can only benefit me in the long run. It's really difficult right now, because as I've said, I feel awful and have no energy, and all I want to do is sleep.

This is so long, I'm so sorry! Anyway, my questions are:

1. Has this happened to anyone else? (Seemingly unending periods on Apri/any pill, even before taking the placebo?)

2. If it did happen, did your periods eventually even themselves out? How and after how long?

3. Have any of you ever taken Glucophage along with a BCP? Did it seem to help?

Thank you SO MUCH for reading! I appreciate any advice or tips you could give me. I've never taken birth control before now, but I finally started after a horrific incident with my period in January. (I woke up covered in blood, dizzy, and started vomiting everywhere. Talk about a bad start to the new year.) I'm scared to continue, to be honest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread