It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Mirena may have caused problems...?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
    Lorem Ipsum
    (female)

Lorem Ipsum HB User
    Exclamation Mirena may have caused problems...?

I'm using a birth control method known as Mirena. Its an IUD inserted into my Uterus that releases a hormone and is replaced every five years. Its a fairly permanent form of birth control, and i only got it in July.
    when you get Mirena, the doctors warn you that you may bleed alot for the first month or so, and you should expect to see that evening out, thinning, or even disappearing altogether.
    Well, im on about month 3 now i guess, and like predicted i bled just about every day for the first almost month and a half. Then i began bleeding very lightly and now its developed into a sort of brownish color, sometimes its much like sludge.
    Frankly, thats not what im worried about, because ive experienced the brown sludge before. What im worried about is the fact that ever since i got mirena, ive had to deal with an unpleasant odor. At first it only showed up every once in a while, but at the moment ive had to deal with it for a week straight, and its quite upsetting.
    The last time i had sex is when it was the strongest.
    Id like to point out that i shower regularly and 'cleanse' as well. Im a clean person, and i pride myself on that. But this odor is making me feel dirty.

Does anybody have any input?
    Im hoping that there is somebody out there who has Mirena who can tell me whether this has happened to them or not.

Any input is appreciated, even if its just to tell me that you've had this problem too. I suppose its nice to feel like I'm not the only one.

Thanks for reading,

~Lorem Ipsum~

The following user gives a hug of support to Lorem Ipsum:
    Snowmogoersgirl (01-08-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
    Anny1
    (female)

Anny1 HB User
    Re: Mirena may have caused problems...?

[QUOTE=Lorem Ipsum;4580064]
    Any input is appreciated, even if its just to tell me that you've had this problem too. I suppose its nice to feel like I'm not the only one.

I have been using Mirena myself, but experienced another problem with it. It affected my libido, I didn't have any pleasure in sex any more. I had it removed and all went back to normal, luckily.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
    Lorem Ipsum
    (female)

Lorem Ipsum HB User

I see.... Well, i dont think i want to get it removed just yet. But im glad things are better for you now.
    Im going in to see a doctor soon so i can get to the bottom of this.
    thank you for your reply

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
    ngc224
    (female)

ngc224 HB User

Bad smell is usually associated with infection. Infections with sludgy brown drainage can be MRSA infections, so I definitely think you should follow through with the doctor's appointment. I had a MRSA infection in a bartholin's gland cyst that took over a year to finally get under control.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
    cardshark
    (female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

ngc224 is right. The first concern I have from the symptoms you listed is infection. You definately need to follow through with a doc appt.

I am on Mirena and have been on it about 1.5 years and it has been wonderful for me. I was put on it to control constant, excessive bleeding and seizures and I was slow adjusting to it, took my body about 6 months to regulate my bleeding and for it to get light but it has been well worth the wait for me. On top of controlling the bleeding which drastically helped the anemia I have also gone from having 20-40 seizures/week every week to having one bad week with about 10-20 seizures every 22 days.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Please see a doc and make sure you don't have an infection.
    Hang in there!
    cardshark

Last edited by cardshark; 11-02-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
    Lorem Ipsum
    (female)

Lorem Ipsum HB User

Thank you everyone, but it doesnt seem like an infection. its a bit hard to explain... i know thats what it sounds like, and chances are i do have a slightly higher ratio of bacteria than some people, based on the fact that it seems to run in the family, but i dunno. Call me crazy, i just feel like im overlooking something.

Thank you all for your replies.

~Lorem Ipsum~

Closed Thread