It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• continuous bleeding... ORTHO TRI CYCLEN

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
    collegegirl14
    (female)

collegegirl14 HB User
    continuous bleeding... ORTHO TRI CYCLEN

I've been taking birth control pills for the last 22 days, starting Oct.22. I chose to do the day 1 start. Since Oct.22 I haven't stop bleeding. I think it's called "breakthrough bleeding", but it's be going on for almost a month, so I'm a little concerned. I would say I only need about one maxi pad per day, so its not a heavy flow. I had light cramps these last few days and last night the cramp was a little more painful with a little bit of small blood clots. I only have about 5 pills left in this first pack. I take the pills at 8 pm every night and they're called Ortho tri Cyclen low. Another probable cause that I can think of is; I took a plan B pill late Sept, almost a month before starting ortho tri cyclen pills. I've looked online but I've been getting mixed answers. Should I be concerned? Is this normal? Im 23 and this is my first time ever taking birth control pills. I would greatly appreciate any advice/answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: continuous bleeding..ORTHO TRI CYCLEN

I think it's possible, probable in fact, that this pill is too low of a dose for you and that's why you keep bleeding. My suggestion is that you go back to the doc and get on regular ortho tri cyclen, not the low dose, and see if that works better. One of my close friends was on ortho tri cyclen for many years and she loved it because it kept her skin clear and she had only a 3 day period every month. Me, on the other hand, when I was on the pill, took microgestin because I wanted a monophasic pill so I could skip periods when I wanted to. If you're on any of the "tri" brands, you can't skip unless you take them in a specific order due to the varied levels of hormones in each week. There have been tons of posts on here from girls who tried skipping while on a tri pill and they ended up with breakthrough bleeding that lasted for months.

Anyway, in your case right now for this, a common sign that a pill is too low of a dose is prolonged breakthrough bleeding after starting out. So give your doc a call tomorrow and get on a higher dose. I'm sure that will help.

Closed Thread