It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

I JUST found out I have had a stroke, Factor V deficiency

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Teacherva
(female)

Teacherva HB UserTeacherva HB User
I JUST found out I have had a stroke, Factor V deficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrandi View Post
I was specifically wondering if there is anyone out there who has Factor V Leiden who is taking this anti-coagulant (just to see if other doctors out there think that it is a viable alternative to Coumadin/Warfarin for FVL), but really, hearing from anyone with any diagnosis that is taking this would be helpful.

This is a newer drug. There is all kinds of discussions about Coumadin, but I cannot seem to find but a few people taking Eliquis (which kind of scares me). The only posts I could find (which was very few) were from people who were saying it made them experience extreme fatigue and brain fog as well as muscle and joint pain and even swelling. Yuck. That doesn't sound good!

Yes, Coumadin is a pain in the "you know what" to constantly have your blood checked etc and because it reacts with vitamin K in your diet (and it makes it hard to get your diet regulate where with Eliquis/Apixiban you don't have to worry about it), but if this is what it's going to cause, then I'd rather not.

I just started it this week, so I can't tell anything yet. I've been very tired, but its because I haven't been sleeping much. This is the 1st time I've been prescribed something that I couldn't find plenty of info on, so it's got me a little worried!

Hi, TxBrandi. I JUST found out I have had a stroke (I in my mid 40's) and have been for the last two years getting weird symptoms my neurologist couldn't put ya finger on. MRI's showed some lesions and did the whole spinal Tap for MS. Negative. Thought I was having seizures. Put on med for that. Well, long story short I just happened to have a fresh stroke at the same time of an MRI because of some left facial pain. Bam! Diagnosed stroke sometime after Thanksgiving.

Neurologist requested a bunch of blood tests. I've had/have a family history of thyroid, cholesterol, high blood pressure all on meds for. Well, blood test came back positive for Factor V Deficiency. My neurologist has put me on Eliquis, as well, until I can get in to seeing a hematologist. I'm only days in to taking it, but also experiencing lethargy and now, itchy throat. This is all new as no one else in my family has been diagnosed.

I'm hoping for some positive as well as not so good from those who have this as well. As I try to blaze this new way of life. Any help you can give? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Jen790
(female)

Jen790 HB User
Re: I JUST found out I have had a stroke, Factor V deficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherva View Post
Hi, TxBrandi. I JUST found out I have had a stroke (I in my mid 40's) and have been for the last two years getting weird symptoms my neurologist couldn't put ya finger on. MRI's showed some lesions and did the whole spinal Tap for MS. Negative. Thought I was having seizures. Put on med for that. Well, long story short I just happened to have a fresh stroke at the same time of an MRI because of some left facial pain. Bam! Diagnosed stroke sometime after Thanksgiving.

Neurologist requested a bunch of blood tests. I've had/have a family history of thyroid, cholesterol, high blood pressure all on meds for. Well, blood test came back positive for Factor V Deficiency. My neurologist has put me on Eliquis, as well, until I can get in to seeing a hematologist. I'm only days in to taking it, but also experiencing lethargy and now, itchy throat. This is all new as no one else in my family has been diagnosed.

I'm hoping for some positive as well as not so good from those who have this as well. As I try to blaze this new way of life. Any help you can give? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Jen790
(female)

Jen790 HB User

My son is 25 years old and he has factor v. He is on lovenox shots and warafin. He is still dealing with serious blood clotting. He vlaims the warafin makes him sickly feeling, head ache, and tired.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
rebecca70
(female)

rebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB User

I prefer coumadin which I take because I used to have afib and is a precaution in case it happens again. I prefer it because it is monitored on a regular basis.
The diet is really not a problem and you get a lot of help from the nurse when you have your INR checked.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
Jen790
(female)

Jen790 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherva View Post

Old 04-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Jen790
(female)

Jen790 HB User

The factor v with taking xeralto my son had no side effects. That was a good one for him. However he has a rare thing. He has no inferior vena cava plus factor v so his is highly serious.so they said xeralto was not enough for him. He is on 170 mg of lovenox decoagulating meds plus 20 mg og warifin. He gets random sweepd of feeling ill .

Reply Reply