It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• I need help interpereting test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
    chickiepoomama

chickiepoomama HB User
    Arrow I need help interpereting test results

Need help interpreting test results

Iron less than 5
    HBB 9.7
    HCT 31.8
    MCV 65
    MCH 19.7
    MCHC 30.5

RETIC # 0.036
    IMMATURE RETIC FRACTION 22.5
    FARRITIN 2

I need some help interpreting these results. This was taken on 3/25/04 and the hematologist wasn’t all that helpful in explaining anything to me, just told me “your anemic”
    I’m changing hematologists but it’s going to take me a few wks to get in w/ a new one.
    If anyone can help me understand these results I would really appreciate it.
    Thank you so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
    BruceLee

BruceLee HB User
    Re: I need help interpereting test results

I'm sure you already know that anemia is a condition in which there aren't enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your tissues. Consequently, this can make you feel tired all of the time. The abbreviations you listed are part of your blood and the numbers will vary from lab to lab. Unfortunately, I can not tell you if they are low or normal. HOwever, I can tell that your HCT or hematocrit is low. HCT is basically the amount of red blood cells packed in the plasma.
    When you go back to the doc or hematologist ask him or her what is the cause of your anemia. Treatments range from taking supplements to possible surgerty. My mother is anemic and has been for quite some time and she has lived a normal life. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
    sts22
    (male)

sts22 HB User
    Re: I need help interpereting test results

Iron less than 5 (Normal 9-30)-->LOW
    HBB (Blood Hemoglobin)9.7 (Normal 12.0 to 16.0)-->LOW
    HCT (Hematocrit) 31.8 (Normal 36-46)-->LOW
    MCV (Mean Corpuscular Volume)65 (Normal 80-100)-->LOW
    MCH (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin)19.7 (Normal 25.4-34.6)-->LOW
    MCHC (Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) 30.5 (Normal 31-36)-->LOW

RETIC # 0.036 (Normal 0.005-0.015)-->HIGH
    IMMATURE RETIC FRACTION 22.5
    FARRITIN 2 (normal 12-150)-->LOW

If I was to guess, I would say you have some sort of hemolytic anemia, based on your high reticulocyte count. Reticulocytes are precursors of red blood cells. If the RBCs are being destroyed (hemolytic anemia), your body will try to make new RBC's, resulting in high reticulocyte #. As the previous poster noted, you also have low hematocrit, hemoglobin and Red blood cell indices, which indicate anemia.

In a nutshell, red cells contain hemoglobin, which is made up of iron. Hemoglobin is the protein that carries oxygen in the blood. A deficit in iron, hemoglobin, red blood cells, or a combination of the three leads to less oxygen getting to body tissues (anemia).

Last edited by sts22; 04-14-2004 at 06:16 AM.

Closed Thread