It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• Full Blood screening & High Red Cell Count?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
    Simon Clarke
    Inactive

Simon Clarke HB User
    Angry Full Blood screening & High Red Cell Count?

Because of not being entirely happy with the information and help my Dr has given me with my health over the years (I have controlled High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism and (just recently) extremely painful elbow and knee joints) I've goten a copy of my complete blood screen at Hospital - now I need some assistance in interpreting them!

Is there a website that gives the correct ranges, and meanings of blood tests? The printout shows some ranges, but not all. For instance, my Dr mentioned in passing that I have a high Red Blood cell count (as has my father) but what does that mean, and what figures should I check on th printout to confirm this?

I guess I'm clutching at straws here, hoping to find something that links my various disorders. Thank you for any explainations you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
    headzred

headzred HB User
    Re: Full Blood screening & High Red Cell Count?

I surely won't give you any medical advice, and I don't know of any sites like you asked about, but I'll look about. Do you smoke? That can cause elevated red cell counts.

Red

Old 09-18-2004, 11:25 PM   #3
    Simon Clarke
    Inactive

Simon Clarke HB User

No, don't smoke and never had. Also don't drink at all.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:19 AM   #4
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Is overload of red blood cells, MCH on a blood panel?
    What is MCH? Anyone know?

Old 10-01-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
    Kine

Kine HB User

Not permitted to post websites not approved by moderators, but hope this information is helpful to both of you.

Red Blood Cell Count (RBC)
    The red blood cells, packed with hemoglobin, have the primary function of transporting oxygen from the lungs to the tissues, and returning carbon dioxide back to the lungs to be exhaled. Normal values are slightly less for women and even less for children and infants. The RBC test determines the number of red blood cells in one cubic millimeter of blood. If the RBC is low (anemia), the body tissues may not get all the oxygen it needs. If it is too high (polycythemia), the blood cells may be at increased risk of clumping together in the smallest blood vessels (capillaries). Polycythemia may be due to lack of oxygen to the tissues (high altitude, smoking, chronic lung disease) or a decrease in body fluid volume usually accompanied by loss of iron (low fluid intake, vomiting, diarrhea, profuse sweating).

Red Blood Cells Indices (MCV, MCH, MCHC)
    The indices described the size and hemoglobin concentration of red blood cells. Greater than normal values suggest anemia due to deficiency of folic acid or vitamin B12 A high MCV is also found with alcoholism. Less than normal values are consistent with iron deficiency anemia or thalassemia (an inherited defect of hemoglogin).

MCV (Mean Corpuscular Volume) -
    indicates whether the cells are of normal size.

MCH (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin) -
    gives the weight of hemoglobin in an average red blood cell.

MCHC (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration) -
    is the amount of hemoglobin in an average red blood cell.

The ranges vary depending on the lab - and the lab report should identify whether your results fall outside the normal range. If it does not indicate abnormal results (i.e., H or L [high, low]), it probably means your values were within normal limits.

Closed Thread