It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• G6PD deficiency... hemolytic anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User
    G6PD deficiency... hemolytic anemia

Recently, I saw that on one of my medical reports, under the section 'Medical Alerts', it says that I am G6PD deficiency. It was discovered from a blood test before a surgery that I'm having. No one told me about it until I saw the report myself. I have since done some research online and know that it is not a really serious problem and that many people has this enzyme deficiency.

However, does everyone that has the G6PD deficiency has hemolytic anemia? Another thing is that, could the medical report be a mistake, meaning that I don't have G6PD deficiency or that this deficiency can disappear on its own?

My mom has been anemic all the while... could she have the gene too and I inherited it from her? If anyone has or knows about this deficiency, help thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
    Re: G6PD deficiency... hemolytic anemia

Hi there! G6PD can be on a spectrum to very benign to severe disease which can leave many patients severely anemic. Most people with G6PD, because of the abnormal enzyme in the red blood cells, have some element of hemolysis because the "reticuloendothelial system" of the body (as it's called) does its job to get rid of abnormal red blood cells (RBCs). I'm not sure how they found G6PD on a routine blood test because those tests are not routine. You have to specifically order it. The other thing with the disease is that there are certain things that can make the hemolysis a lot worse, and one of the classic things that does this is fava beans. The truth is, any food that can cause oxidation of RBCs can precipitate a hemolytic attack; however, other than fava beans, I'm not sure what other foods can cause this.

I'm sure there are other people on this boards who may be able to give you more detailed explanations. I hope I could have been at least a small amount of help.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Could surgery cause hemolysis too? Because the result of me being G6PD deficient came out the next day after my surgery. Maybe I was having a hemolytic attack while in surgery which made them order the test? Does it also means that being G6PD deficient, the rbc is low?

I have tachycardia and palpitations, accompanied by dizziness and a feeling I'm floating... could it be part of being G6PD deficient. Thanks for your help!

Old 11-19-2004, 04:32 AM   #4
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Ahhh yes! You just reminded me! The other thing that can precipitate a hemolytic attack in a G6PD person is a large stress on the body--and of course, surgery can do this. Could be why they ordered the test though, again, G6PD wouldn't be the first reason for hemolysis to think about...it's not that common. I'm not sure about the floating, but the dizziness and palpitations can be a result of anemia because your body as a whole isn't getting the oxygen it needs because there aren't enough carriers (i.e. RBCs) in the blood.

With G6PD, you don't have to have a low RBC count. It's only low if you have hemolysis going on. If there is no hemolysis, there shouldn't be a shortage of RBCs.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Can this deficiency disappear one day; meaning I won't have it? Someone told me that by drinking tea, it will help. How will it help? I have also found out that people with this deficiency can't donate blood because it won't be accepted. I want to be a blood donor but does it mean I won't be able to? Thanks.

Closed Thread