It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• bruising very easily

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User
    bruising very easily

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of bruises on my legs but I didn't know how I had got them. I figured I must have bumped into something and forgotten about it. But over the past couple weeks I've been getting more and more bruises on my legs - and I have no idea why I'm getting them. They start out as small, sort of dark circles and then end up about the size of a quarter or larger within a day or two. For examply, the other night I noticed two little circles on my inner thigh as I was getting ready for bed - by the next morning they were larger and darker. It's gotten to the point that if it was summer or shorts weather right now I wouldn't wear shorts because my legs are covered in bruises.

I'm a 28 year old female, I'm 5'6 and weigh about 117. I'm in ok shape (although I used to work out more often) and the only sport I'm involved in right now is golf and that certainly doesn't cause much bruising! I just had a CBC done not that long ago and my platelets and white blood cells were normal - the only thing that was off are my red blood cells and I'm a little anemic. But I've been anemic for awhile now and my hgb isn't nearly as low as it's been in the past, and I've never experienced bruising as a side effect of the anemia.

Is there anything that might cause this that I should be concerned about? What tests do they normally do, if any, to find out what's going on? I'm guessing that anything serious would have shown up on the CBC, is that right? Even if it's nothing serious that's causing the bruising I'd like to know what it is because my legs (especially my thighs) are just about covered in bruises....

Thanks, Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: bruising very easily

Sometimes females will have extra bruising that is connected to estrogen andprogesterone balance. If it keeps up see your doctor because there may be a vitamin K deficiency. Bruising is usually not a serious problem, unless accompanied by sudden bloody nose or excessive bleeding when brushing teeth. Also notice if you get a scratch if the bleeding stops in normal length of time. Sometimes a Bleeding Protime test is needed to determine if your clotting factors are working correctly. Also notice to see if you have been taking any extra aspirin, Advil, Ibuprofen type products. There are some herbs on the market that will cause excessive bleeding in some people.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
    lpears123
    (female)

lpears123 HB User

Get another cbc done... one of my first symptoms of Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia was bruising everywhere especially my legs. Do you out of breath easily and fatigued more than normal? Although I didnt start having those systoms for about a month before getting Dx...but was bruising for about 4 months before getting the Dx and my hgb was at 4...and I was in for a blood test about a month before I got the dx and it was a little low...something like 11.2 so keep a eye on the symtoms.

Good luck,
    Lori

Last edited by lpears123; 02-20-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

thanks for your replies. I talked with my doctor today and I'm going to see her tomorrow. The bruising has gotten a lot worse and my legs are covered with bruises. My thighs look the worse but now my calves are starting to look just as bad as my thighs My hemoglobin was 11.5 on my last CBC and I don't feel like it's gone down from there. The lowest it's been was 7.4 and I don't feel anywhere near as bad as I did then. I don't know how you can function/survive with your hgb at 4!!!!! That's scary.

I'm planning on going skiing this weekend in Tahoe and I'm a little concerned about this since I haven't been doing anything to cause the bruises I already have. At this rate I'll get bruises just from wearing my ski boots.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
    lpears123
    (female)

lpears123 HB User
    Wink Re: bruising very easily

Lizzy76...Believe it or not I was doing what a Mom would normally..everything!!! I picked my son up from kindergarten everyday, did my sons Halloween school party two days before and went on a hayride at the "Tunnel of Terror" which included a ton of walking (it was Halloween Weekend) with my Husband and kids...but was pretty much dead on Halloween was able to walk about a block and barely made it back to my house...had to send the hubby to do it himself
    I was admitted to the hospital the next day with my family practice doc thinking I had lymphoma...which she didn't tell me till I saw her after I was out and Dx...thank god! That was Nov 1st...I had to wait for our new ins to kick in.

But if you feel good and you blood work is good go have a blast skiing, My sister was married this summer in Tahoe and has a condo in North Star (a ski resort town )...What a great place...do you live in NV or CA or are you going on Vac? sorry so personal...I just really love that part of the country...I'm am from MN and need I say more...just kidding I love it here.

Let us know what the doc says...I'm sure she will tell you if you should or not...I hope it works out!

Lori

Last edited by lpears123; 02-21-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

Well I got the results back from the CBC I had last week (the only info I had was on the RBC count). My white blood cell count was a little low (around 3) and my platelets were in the low end of normal somewhere around 170. My primary doc referred me to a dermatologist/internist and she mentioned some other blood tests they'll do. My primary already ordered some clotting tests - I'm not sure what they are, and the derm said they could test my blood for different antibodies. The bruises on my legs are still there, and are still getting worse (although not as quickly as they were before) and my legs ache from the bruising. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or what would help? Cosmetically this isn't looking very good - I know things could be worse and I shouldn't be so vain, but still.....I was in the hottub with some friends the other day and I had to explain what was going on (not that I reallly had much to explain) because my legs really do look like someone is abusing me or I've just been in a horrible accident.

Lizzy

Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #7
    lpears123
    (female)

lpears123 HB User

Did they tell you what your hemoglobin was?? What was info on your RBC? What was your RBC?

I don't remember if my legs hurt at the time or not? are you bruising anywhere else or is just your legs? I had them pretty much everywear.. Do you have any memory problems....I thought I was losing my mind at 34 ...I even had a hard time remembering how to spell....but I guess you cant really think when you have no oxygen in you blood.

I think your doc's are on the right track looking for antibodies. My blood disorder is caused by antibodies attacking my red blood cells.

Good luck!
    Lori

Old 02-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
    mxtimmy348

mxtimmy348 HB User

I am 14 and I have diabetes, Diabetes causes Bruising easily.Not saying you have diabetes but it is a fact.Maybe you should check for any other side affrects of diabetes.

Good luck im sure ur fine

Closed Thread