It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• young with blood clots...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
    starlet32079
    (female)

starlet32079 HB User
    young with blood clots...

Hello everyone,
    I have never posted on this board before but I just was released from the hospital about 5 days ago. I was admitted for the left side pelvic pain I was having and also some burning feeling in my chest. I am a 26 yr old female with 2 small daughters.
    Well at the ER they ended up doing a CT scan and thought I had a twisted ovary but when they used the contrast with the CT scan they found a whole other story. I had 5 blood clots in my left lower abdominal area and 2 in my left leg. I also had about 12 pulminary embolisms. I had been to the doc and the urgent care but they had both told me they didn't think anything was wrong. Well the 3 docs that worked on me in the ER were really glad that I finally came into the ER because they told me that if I had waited any longer that I caould have died.
    The docs were able to find out that I have a congenital defect called May-Thurner Syndrome (my illiac vein and artery overlap and cause pressure which caused the clots) They did surgurey the same day and put a stent in to seperate the vein and artery. I was in the ICU for 5 days and was released from the hasp 2 days later. Well as soon as I got home my leg started hurting again I waited a day and a half until I could bear it no more. I went back to the ER with severe pain in my left calf, along with swelling in my calf and ankle. My leg was also discolored like before. After another CT scan they discovered I had another clot that extended from my abdomen all the way to my foot. I also had some pulminary emboli again. I stayed in the hospital again for yet another week and they dicovered I also have a blood disorder called Lupus Anticuagulant (S/P?). It makes your blood thiker that normal and you have to be on Warfarin/Coumadin for a long time. Because I am so young they will put me on Plavix for 10 weeks and Warfarin for 1 year and then retest my blood to see if I still have the Lupus anticoagualnt. If I do I will need to be on Warfarin life long.
    Is there anyone that has been throught either of these things? Or any younger people that have had recurrent clots? I am so afraid it will wappen again.

Thanks,
    Starlet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
    shandielee
    (female)

shandielee HB User
    Re: young with blood clots...

I can relate to you. I am only 32 and have 6 children. I was at a wedding dancing and would get short winded real fast and have to sit down because I could not breath. I thought that it was from smoking to much and blew it off and just stayed off the dance floor. I worked out daily so that is why i thought it was from smoking. The next morning I was coughing up blood. I felt fine other then the coughing up of blood. I was breathing fine and everything. My boyfriend insisted that I go to the ER to be checked and after about an hour of arguing about it i went. My 02 was 98% and the x-ray looked good but the doc did some blood work and one of the tests was called a d-dimer test and that checks the blood for clots..He came back into the room as I am getting dressed thinking I am going home and he said that I was going no where that my d-dimer test came back 5 times higher then normal and that I had a serious problem somewhere in my body and they had to do a CAT scan right away. They did it and came back saying I had three blood clots in 3 of the 5 lung lobes. I was admitted to ICU and they took 16 viles of blood and then started giving me shots of levonex in the tummy 2 times a day. They discoverd that I carried 2 blood clotting genes..lupus anticoulagant as well as factor 5 lieden. I was also a smoker and on birth control and had surgery 1 month prior for a kidney stone. I will be on coumadin now for the rest of my life because of the 2 genes. I have had no problems since but do go in every week to get my INR checked. As far as your doc saying that the lupus anticoulagant will go away..That is a no , you are born with that gene and it does not just go away. You should be on the blood thinners for life to prevent anything else. Sorry I rambled so much but I hope it put some peace to you knowing that I am young and have the same problems, well not to the extent of your's but somewhat the same.

Closed Thread