It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• Elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
    MILLSC
    (female)

MILLSC HB User
    Elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit

Hi...I'm new here but have been having problems for about 7 months now.Started with an increased heartrate, and now mostly neurological problems. Cardio workup is normal but today was told by nurse that Hemoglobin and Hematocrit are elevated, waiting on call from doc. Anyone have any info on what could possibly be wrong?

MILLSC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
    Pamsulli
    (female)

Pamsulli HB User
    Re: Elevated hemoglobin and hematocrit

Hi

You may have something called Polycythemia, this is when you are producing too many red cells which then makes your Hb and Hct rise. Your doctor will probably monitor you for a while and if the high counts persist he will probably want you to see a hematologist.

I was diagnosed with Polycythemia in November my HB was 17.98 and my HCT was 53. Incidentally I also have a rapid heart rate at times (one night recently it was 108, I was in bed at the time). My Hematologist has sent me back to my GP as he feels this is not related to my Polycythemia. I have had a blood test to check my thyroid functions, if they are Ok my GP wants me to see a cardiologist.

Hope this helps
    Pam

Old 01-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User

hello first question, do you smoke?? if you do it will raise your hemoglobin levels above normal, as well as carbon monoxide levels of your blood,thats secondary polycythemia which is curable by quitting smoking,if you dont, dehydration may be a problem,i was suspected of having polycythemia and it improved with increased water intake,i thought i was drinking enough but i wasnt and my levels dropped a huge amount even though i was still smoking.i wouldnt worry unless it stays above normal after several test.good luck!

Last edited by hyper79; 01-19-2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add

Old 02-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
    iluvsiamese
    (female)

iluvsiamese HB User

High Hematecrit levels can also signal hemocromotosis. My husband has that, they were taking a pint of blood a week off of him after his dx, now he just does it every 3 months. Just another thought for you.

Closed Thread