It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• allergic rhinitis related to slightly elevated platelets?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
    martha36
    (female)

martha36 HB User
    allergic rhinitis related to slightly elevated platelets?

Hello! I posted about my 10 year long slightly elevated platelets - 390-440k range. Does anyone know of a link between allergies and higher platelets? I'm very allergic to almost every pollen, mold and dust mite. Any feedback appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
    undercoat
    (female)

undercoat HB User
    Re: allergic rhinitis related to slightly elevated platelets?

Martha, I too have allergic rhinitis, hay fever, asthma and allergy to dust mites. I also had eczema very badly until about 1997, but then it cleared up and I have been free of it ever since. I have been a "sickly" sort of person all my life - not really ill, but "sneezing and wheezing" as my Mum used to say. I also had migraines until about 3 years ago, when they also suddenly stopped and I sincerely hope that they never return - eczema I can cope with, but migraines are terrible. It would be nice to find out that our platelets are due to allergies, because I wouldn't worry so much then.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
    martha36
    (female)

martha36 HB User

Hello Undercoat, sorry your allergies are so bad, as well. Thank you very much for your input.

As we've been "following" my slightly elevated platelets for 10 years, I've been trying so hard to find possible causes, as there are no other abnormalities in my blood tests. As I do research, I see that it could be an inflammatory response, and was just wondering if my bad allergies could be a link - will ask the hematologist. Never discussed with my general doctor.

It's very nice to discuss this with someone else who understands what I'm going through! It's been a mystery to my doctors for some time, and very stressful to "watch" to see what happens. It would be great to find a benign cause, wouldn't it! Take care and thanks again for responding!

Old 06-16-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

Hi martha36,

I also have slightly elevated platlets - 440-460 range. I've known this since last fall, but it's possible it's been longer. All other bloodwork is normal, with the exception on slightly low lymphocytes - I just found out my 10 year old daughter has the low lymphocytes also. This doesn't seem to concern either of our doctors.

As far as the platelets go - I also have bad allergies - year round - hay fever, animal dander, pollen etc.... So I wonder if the platelet count is related??
    At my last blood work, the doctor ordered a manual differential, and the platlet function came back normal, so I guess they're just slightly elevated.

marymk

Old 06-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
    martha36
    (female)

martha36 HB User

Hello Marymk! Thank you so much for your response. Wow, it sounds like we have very similar situations! Is your doctor going to follow up any more, or is he not concerned? I'm certainly going to ask about the allergy connection - it just seems like there's the possibility of a link. Let's keep each other posted and compare notes! Best of health to you, and thanks again!

Old 06-16-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

martha,

It's acutally been my gynocologist that has been giving me the blood test results. My GP has always said everything is in the normal range (just one time I was anemic, but that's OK now).
    When I go for my annual gyno exam in August, she told me to fast for bloodwork. I have slightly high cholestrol too, and I think this concerns her more that the platlets. She mentioned the high platlets last year, but wasn't concerned, as it is just a slight elevation. I've read that exercise can elevate them also, and I do workout 2 - 3 times a week at the gym - too bad it's not helpling my cholestrol.

She always sends me copies of my lab results, so if they continue to rise, I may question it more.

Mary

Old 06-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
    martha36
    (female)

martha36 HB User

Hi Mary! I, too, am an avid exerciser. I learned not to exercise the day I got my platelets tested (my highest reading was after a heavy duty strength training session)! My doctor advised me to remember to keep well hydrated when exercising. Wishing you the best of health, Martha

Closed Thread