It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• Procrit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
    Cher2005
    Veteran
    (female)

Cher2005 HB User
    Procrit

If anyone has taken Procrit please let me know what your reactions were/ Did you continue? I'm concerned because I read it could cause heart events. Okay I have already had a heart event, triple bypass. No thanks.
    I have diabetes and kidney damage with high protein in urine and anemia.
    What to do? Any advice appreciated/ Thanks

Last edited by Cher2005; 09-21-2006 at 10:19 PM. Reason: title subject typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
    jcjwillis
    (female)

jcjwillis HB User
    Re: Procrit

I have been taking procrit for several years and have been fine taking it on a regular basis. Have you told your doctor about your other health issues? If so he could best suggest to you what to do.
    Hope this helps!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I have been taking Procrit for about 10 months now to boost my red blood cell count. Just about 3 weeks ago I had a significant "heart event" that was first diagnosed as a mild heart attack. I take 4,000 (? unsure of the terminology for the measurement) of Procrit about every 2 weeks, depending on my H&H counts. The day after I had given myself an injection I experienced severe chest pains, tightening of my throat, difficulty breathing, profuse sweating, etc. I had to sit down for about 30 minutes before I could get in my car and drive home. My heart was skipping beats and I felt overall like I was just plain sick. Although I wasn't seriously thinking about a heart attack, I went to my primary care physician the next day and after taking an ekg he sent me directly to a cardiologist. My ekg showed signs that my heart had been starved of oxygen and cardiac aschemia (sp?). To cut to the chase here....within 24hours I had undergone a cardiac cahterization only to find out that I had a completely healthy heart, no blocked arteries, etc. I had stress tests, etc. and everything was fine. The doctors are now looking toward the Procrit as a possible cause of the cardiac irregularities. I have an appointment with my hemotologist on Monday, October 9th. I read that Procrit can have some serious cardiac and stroke side effects. Sure hope I can continue to take it as it's the only thing that has kept my levels up. I have anemia caused by process of disease. My H&H drops pretty quickly if I'm off of it for more than a month. I'll let you know what the doc tells me next week. I'm really glad that you posted. KathyMac

Old 10-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
    jcjwillis
    (female)

jcjwillis HB User

Thanks for telling about your problems with Procrit I did not know that it could cause such severe events. Please keep us posted to let us know your out come. I hope that you can still take Procrit since it helps so much!
    Thanks for posting!
    Sorry it took so long for a response I was in the hospital.(Not for anything related to Procrit)
    Take Care

Closed Thread