It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• Anyone Familiar w/blood tests...Need help interpeting blood values

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
    spongebobsquare
    (female)

spongebobsquare HB User
    Question Anyone Familiar w/blood tests...Need help interpeting blood values

Hi there.
    Got some questions...

Can anyone tell me what it is suggestive of if your blood tests are:

RBC: Chronically low for over 5 years

HCT: Chronically low for over 5 years

MCH: Chronically High for over 5 years

NEUT%: Chronically high for over 5 years

Mono: Chronically High for over 5 years

Lymph: Chronically low for over 5 years

Any help given on this would be much appreciated!!!
    Thank you and God Bless.
    "spongebob Squarepants".

PS: Not looking for a DX. Just curious in a general fashion what
    these blood values may indicate...in general.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
    spongebobsquare
    (female)

spongebobsquare HB User
    Red face Anyone familiar w/Blood Tests-I need help interpreting them...

Hi there.
    Got some questions...

Can anyone tell me what it is suggestive of if your blood tests are:
    (These tests have been done 5-6 different X's for various reasons, for the
    past 6 years. Most of the tests are over 2 years old.)

RBC: Chronically low for over 5 years
    Values: From 3.48 to4.20M/ul (And some in the middle.)

HCT: Chronically low for over 5 years
    Values: From 33.1 to 37.9% (And some in the middle.)

MCH: Chronically High for over 5 years
    Values: From 31.6 to 34.8 pg (And some in the middle.)

Mono: Chronically High for over 5 years
    Values: from 13.1 to 9.9 (And some in the middle.)

Lymph: Chronically low for over 5 years
    Values: From 8.4 to 15.4% (And some in the middle.)

ANA: Positive, Speckled, 1:80

Anti-rnp: 2.04

Symptoms:
    Bad Migraines, menorrhagia, SEVERE, constant fatigue, tachycardia, periods of bracycardia, weight gain, rare spells of complete weakness, thirsty all of the time-probably drink over 2 gallons of water a day!, have a major "excessive saliva issue", anxiety-on zoloft & small amounts of clonazepam to control it, super easy bruising, and muscle & joint pain.

The worst symptom by far is the severe, constant fatigue.

Any help given on this would be much appreciated!!! Desperate to figure out what is going on.

Thank you and God Bless.

"spongebob Squarepants".

Last edited by spongebobsquare; 11-15-2006 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Being more precise

Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
    tracygirl
    (female)

tracygirl HB User
    Re: Anyone familiar w/Blood Tests-I need help interpreting them...

Do you have your actual counts............this may be helpful and generate more responses..............how are you feeling in general, any symptoms?

Old 11-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Hi there,

Ok because most of the blood tests are 2 years old and over you must have them repeated again. Blood values and results chance from month to month so they may all be normal now or still showing the same result. Either way - you need to have the blood test performed again.

What did your Doctor say about your blood test results? Was you given any medication and what for? Do you have any medical conditions or on any medication?

RBC is Red Blood Count. This is usually decreased when Anemia is present or can be elevated and low when infection is present. But with Anemia your WBC would be affected too.

HCT is Hematocrit. Low HCT can suggest Anemia.

MCH is Mean Corpuscular Volume. This test can beused to diagnose the type of Anemia. With low MCH this is a indication of Microcytic Anemia and with high values this is a indication of Macrocytic Anemia.

Mono is used to test for infectious Monoculeosis. A high level means you are positive for this. This is caused by EBV virus and can remain in your system for several months to a year. Symptoms vary from tiredness to sore throt, tonsilitis, enlarged kidney or spleen and muscle stiffness and cramping.

Lymph nodes will be enlarged with Mono. Its one of the symptoms.

Lymph is Lymphocites in your blood cells. These are increased or low values during infections, Anemia and various other medical conditions.

ANA is Nuclear Antibody test. This checks how your immune system is working. Because this is positive I would have a blood test for Lupus to rule this out.

Anti-rnp is another Immune system test and can be a indication of Lupus.

I'm outstounded your Doctor did not do any tests or send you to a specalist with your test results. It sounds like you have Anemia and Mono for definite. This will be why you're having all of your strange symptoms. As for Lupus you will need to be tested for this to find out for sure but with a positive ANA, Lupus is only ONE of the options and doens't mean you have it. It basically means your immune system isn't functioning properly and you need to find out why.

Hope this has helped you.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: Anyone Familiar w/blood tests...Need help interpeting blood values

Hi: Your best bet is to discuss each count with the doctor that ordered the test. If your doc isn't good at answering question, you might consider a second opinion if your insurance covers it. Below is a link to blood test interpretations, but this is not a substitute for an actual diagnosis. Many results can't be explained in a simple blurb, but here it is anyway.

Good Luck

[url]http://web2.airmail.net/uthman/lab_test.html[/url]

Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
    spongebobsquare
    (female)

spongebobsquare HB User
    Angry Re: Anyone familiar w/Blood Tests-I need help interpreting them...

Thank you so much for your reply.
    2 years ago I went to a rheumatologist who told me I was tired from having
    young children. She (the DR) made me feel like an idiot for being there. So, I haven't pursued this any further.

I have gone to a GYN who did surgery to see why I was I was bleeding so much-he couldn't find anything. (The surgery was about 1 & 1/2 yrs ago.) I have been to a neurologist for the migraines who only treats them. The neurologist has not tried to find out why I get migraines except doing a cat scan which came up normal.

I get my health care through the VA...which can be a very good thing. But, they are so overwhelmed right now w/veterans coming back from Iraq. So, it is hard to get any follow up care.

And since I went to the rheumatologist...I am afraid of being ridiculed again.

What brought this health issue to the for front is the fact that a week & 1/2 ago I literally hemmoraged with my period. I had to go to the ER and be put on bed rest for two days.

I called my DRs nurse and she is basically the go between-between me and the DR. THE DR wants me to get an ultarsound and more stupid blood tests. I just got a bunch done at the ER when I hemmoraged. I had surgery just a year and a half ago-so I doubt an ultrasound will find anything.

From what I can figure from what I've read-this seems to be either an auto immune problem or a thyroid problem. I have asked the DR to send me to an endocronologist (sp?) but I have to get the blood tests, ultrasound, and see a GYN first. Sounds like a waste of time and tax payer's money too.

SO, this is what brought me to this board. I am sick of not feeling well. I have done everything in my own power to feel better. I take supplements, get exercise, and try to eat well. I don't drink or do drugs. I have gone to a shrink to get help with this; the shrink thinks the DRs are nuts-but what can he do.

Whatever is going on with me physically has severley impacted my life and my family. But the DRS don't seem to get this.

I have told my shrink and my DRs if this is in my head-do whatever it takes to
    make me feel physically better. Medication, electric shock, whatever!!! I DON'T CARE WHAT IT TAKES...I JUST WANT TO FEEL BETTER!!!!!!!!

SO, here I am.

pLeAsE hElP!

Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Your welcome hun. The bleeding isn't thyroid or immune system related. Heavy bleeding is usually blood disoder related and this will affect your Iron Levels when its not well controlled.

I would make another appointment but this time with a Hematologist. They will sort you out. Or better yet, make 2 appointments one with the Hema and the other with the Rhumie but see a different one this time. They will sort you out.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:50 AM   #8
    spongebobsquare
    (female)

spongebobsquare HB User
    Question P.s.:

Does anyone know why I ALWAYS come up positive on mono blood tests?
    I have come up positive for the past 5 years-every time my blood has been
    tested!

You can't have mono for 5 years?!? Why would my tests come up that way?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User
    Re: Anyone Familiar w/blood tests...Need help interpeting blood values

You can have Mono for a long time hun. Mine kept coming up positive for 2 and a half years and I've heard of some people who came out positive for 6 years. So it is possible. Long term Mono would elevate your other blood cells because Mono is a virus/infection. I would see a doctor about this too. Maybe there is something they can give you to fight Mono.

Closed Thread