It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• really strange problem with hands/feet, doctors can't help, someone on here?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
    sbabayan
    (female)

sbabayan HB User
    really strange problem with hands/feet, doctors can't help, someone on here?

Hi everybody,

I'm a 20 year old female, 5'7", 130 pounds. for a while now, like I'd say at least 4 years, I've had this weird problem with my hands and feet. they either turn red or they turn blotchy and purple.

the redness happens when after I exercise, or I'm on my feet a long time. they get bright red and warm. (aside from when this happens, they are usually very cold.)

they turn purple when I'm sitting or after I take a hot shower. my feet are way worse than my hands. they look rotted and dead sometimes! when I elevate them, they go back to normal.

of course, I assumed this was a circulation problem and went to my doctor. she checked my pulses and took a blood test for Raynaud's and thyroid. it came back negative. she also said my pulses were fine. while I was seeing a gynecologist, she commented on them and said I should get it checked out again! Luckily, my dad's good friend happens to be a very good vascular surgeon. i went to him and he checked my pulses and told me my circulation's fine! that it has something to do with the nerves. that's about all I understood, becuase he was speaking doctor gobbledygook. So I am still confused, and I know this sounds dumb, but I am not convinced I'm okay. I even went off the birth control pill because I was so scared of blood clots. I don't want to get my legs amputated! does anyone know anything about this?

BTW, i have had a diabetes test before as well and that was negative.

Last edited by sbabayan; 11-29-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
    jools182
    (male)

jools182 HB User
    Re: really strange problem with hands/feet, doctors can't help, someone on here?

I have been getting the same kind of thing. My main symptoms have been dizziness and feeling like I'm passing out, but the last month or so I have noticed that my fingernails are blue sometimes. I have also had the thing where my feet or hands look dead, blue toes, blotchy. I have always had cold hands but it is worrying

Old 12-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
    razz123
    Inactive
    (male)

razz123 HB User
    Re: really strange problem with hands/feet, doctors can't help, someone on here?

sbabayan,

Since you have already been checked for Raynauds, the one other blood related disorder (through rare) you should be checked for (if not already) is Polycythemia Vera. How are your RBC/HGB/HCT counts ? Do you have any itching ?

Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
    MargaretF
    (female)

MargaretF HB User

Could be Acrocyanosis, similar symptoms to Raynauds but more prevalent in young women (in their 20s) and when associated Arthritis not present, as it can be with Raynauds.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

You're all describing the symptoms of another autoimmune disorder APS, or Hughes Syndrome, or sticky blood - where your body makes antibodies and forms clots which hurts circulation.

A simple blood test will rule it out. An APS panel.

Jill

Closed Thread