It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

?s about Husbands Blood Clot

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
cmsaint
(female)

cmsaint HB User
Question ?s about Husbands Blood Clot

My Husband is 46 and has a blood clot in his groin that runs down to his knee. He was hospitalized on Jun 26th for 3 days then released. He was given Heparin. Now that he is home he is given Coumdain. Last week he was given an U/S to see if it has gotton any better. The test revealed it is still the same, no change other than it has slightly more blod flow moving through it. He is due to return to work on Aug 3rd. , but we aren't sure if it has to be gone by then or not. The U/S Tech said it was the largest clot she has seen and that it could take up to a year for it to go away?! His Dr. doesn't seem to be the slightest concerned. My Husband works in the law enforcement field so being on light duty when he returns isn't going to be easy.

I was reading on the net about a new procedure where they can vacuum the clot out and it's safe and the clot is gone the same day.

Has anyone heard of this? We are trying to find out what Dr.s do this and look into it.

Also what do you think of his situation, does it seem like that is the normal protocal for blood clots?

He wasn't given any To Dos and Not To Dos while he is at home so he has been walking around stores and doing light swimming, is this OK?

ANy INFO would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
mom&teacher
(female)

mom&teacher HB User
Re: ?s about Husbands Blood Clot

Hello,
My husband (age 42) had a DVT in his right arm this spring at an IV site (after diverticulitis and abcess as a result of the diverticulitis). The vascular surgeon was almost nonchalant about it. He thought my husband could handle going on a family vacation to Disney World 2 weeks later after he had just spent 3 weeks in and out (mostly in) of the hospital. His regular dr. listened to our concerns and agreed that although it would be safe for him to travel, it wasn't the best time to do it. He ended up being off work about 10 weeks. His job is very physical and he knew when he could realistically return to work. He continues on the coumadin, probably until Oct.

Surgical options were discussed with us, however they said they were only performed if absolutely necessary. I don't know if you live near a large teaching hospital, but if we have to deal with this again, that's where we will be.
I do understand your frustration and confusion.
My best to you and your family,
Rhonda

Closed Thread