It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• high platlets,joint pain,low h&h, knots in lower bACK

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
    ANGIE07
    (female)

ANGIE07 HB User
    high platlets,joint pain,low h&h, knots in lower bACK

Hi I Am New Here. I Am Also A Rn. I Feel I'm Going Crazy. My Hct And Hgb Are Low. My Platlets Are Slightly Elevated At 424,000. Those Are The Only Lab Results I Have But I Am In Pain Quite Alot And Sometimes It Is Almost Difficult To Get Up. Of Course This Is Not An Option -i Have A 12 Mos Old And A 9 Wk Old. I Work 2 Twelve Hour Shifts In The E.r. Weekly And My Family Depends On This As A Large Portion Of Our Income. My Dr's Nurse Called Me Back And Said My Labs Were All Normal But I Know That My Platelets And H&h Were Slightly Out Of Range. Now My Eyes Also Have Inflammation Off And On For About Three Weeks. Which The Er Dr I Work With Said Was A Condition Called Iritis. My Dr's Nurse Is Acting As Though I Am Just A Complaining Patient. I Just Have To Be Able To See And Walk To Take Care Of My Babies And My Patients At Work. I Feel Very Upset - Maybe I'm Just Going Crazy ????? Please Respond With Any Thoughts Or Advice.
    Thank You All-
    Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
    Re: high platlets,joint pain,low h&h, knots in lower bACK

Angie,
    I have hemolytic anemia and ITP. They watch my hemoglobin counts and platelet counts. I have chronic joint pain. They don't know why, the only thing they've ever offered is that autoimmune diseases often include joint pain and aches, etc.

I do know that when my either my anemia or ITP is active, I have terrible fatigue and pain all over, like I'm getting the flu. Often my platelets go way high when my hemoglobin goes low- like a see saw. I really think you need to have a complete workup done to find out why your hemoglobin levels are low. You could be low in B12, or it could be a whole host of other things. If it is your B12, it's important to start getting the injections or sublingual vitamins. BTW, when my B12 level is low, my vision gets fuzzy, and my eyes tend to be very dry. AFter a B12 injection, they improve greatly.

BTW: You're not crazy! I think you have a problem that they haven't identified yet. You may have to be pushy. Start with the B12 test and then go from there. If your platelets continue to go higher, that's an indication that you have inflammation or an infection, and that's something that needs to be investigated.

Hang in there.
    Jill

Last edited by japlopper; 02-27-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: To add more info

Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
    ANGIE07
    (female)

ANGIE07 HB User

Jill - I am not sure if I'm replying in the right place but I hope you get this message. Thank you sooooo much for responding to my post. I m sorry that you struggle with health issues but it is very comforting to know that there are people who understand how frustrating it is to know that something isn't right with your health and no one can explain it. I will take your advice and push for some answers. Thank you for the encouragement. God bless you and I hope you recover very soon and never have these issues again!!!!! Take care!
    Angie

Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
    kimbly
    (female)

kimbly HB User

Hi Angie,
    I have been dealing with the same issues. I have unexplainable excruciating joint pain as well. I have a few little oens myself and its not easy sometime or practicle to complain about this pain . It can even become depressing when you feel ther is no answer and everyone thinks you're a hypochondriac (sp?) I recently had a PE and will be on blood thinners for the rest of my life because of a genetic defect. I dont thnk this has anything to do with the pain and fatigue but I wonder if it is related to something else. As a nurse you know all our systems depend on each other.... so keep searching for a reason and a doctor who will take you seriously. I am on my third doctor and she is sending me to a rheumatologist and a hematologist. and she has ordered a complete lab workup. Although Ido not yet feel better I do have the hope that there will sonn be some relief. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you feel better soon. And good luck with your little ones, (and Congratualtions) They are you reason for hanging in there and fighting for an answer!
    Kimbly

Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
    ANGIE07
    (female)

ANGIE07 HB User

Kimberly -Thank you so very much for your encouragement. I'm so sorry about all you are going through. Haveing a pe must have been really scary. I appreciate you so much responding to my post. You are right our little babies are the reason we get up and fight for answers. Another thing that this experience has taught me is to never stop being empathetic as a nurse. I have always tried to be understanding with my patients but it has become very clear to me what that can mean to a patient being on the reieving end of some "eye rolling" luckily this is only coming from my dr's nurse. Everyone else who knows me knows I push as hard as I can to get everything done and if I say I'm sick I am. You take care.
    angie

Last edited by moderator2; 02-28-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: posted contact info

Closed Thread