It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• Up & Down IRON

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
    glg13luna
    (female)

glg13luna HB User
    Up & Down IRON

I've been donating blood since 911,about every 10 weeks or so. It seems my iron levels are too low, every OTHER time I donate. I failed the finger ***** test yesterday at 11.4,I barely made it the time before at 12.5,and before that I didn't, at 12.3.
    Anyway it seems that it takes me longer than the normal 8 weeks to bring my iron up.What causes low iron?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Up & Down IRON

glg13luna--You might want to visit the Anemia Board, just a suggestion. You will need to go have your Ferritin a stand-alone test (MORE TELLING of iron) checked, this is the iron stores of the body (in the organs and bone marrow) for when you are low on iron. Anemia is the last stage of ferritin stores, range 10-232 ng/ml for females.

It is quite common knowledge that regular blood donations will deplete your stores, thus, leading to anemia. Blood drives/banks do NOT check ferritin levels. It takes years to deplete. If you are still having a monthly cycle that too makes it much worse. Depending on what your iron stores look like, you may be on high does iron for a long time. You are borderline, possibly *mildly anemic* according to your labs, if you are below range, I didn't see one. You shouls also have a CBC and iron panel done. Hgb should return to normal fairly easily, BUT the stored can take up to a year to replenish and you will not want to be donating blood until they are normal again. This can cause your hair to fall out and fatigue along with other symptoms but thoses are the most common. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
    glg13luna
    (female)

glg13luna HB User

Thank you,Flowergirl,
    for the very informative answer,I have a doctor appt,after the holidays. I've stopped my periods 5 years ago.Do you know how long the body takes to make more red blood,shouldn't 8 weeks be long enough? What would cause someone so long to make hemoglobin? Thank You

Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

New RBC's are made about every 120 days. You will need a script from your doctor for iron replacement to build your Hgb most likely if the ferritin is low. I wouldn't wait until after the holidays if I were you. A low ferritin without iron replacement would not help the Hgb to rise. Your anemia would need to be diagnosed by a doctor to rule out other things as a possible cause. You can have more than one reason for anemia. You should also have your B-12 and folate checked, this too can cause anemia not related to iron deficiency. You can have both at the same time this is why you need a complete blood lab work up done and a true diagnosis. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread