It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• What to expect after starting B12 therapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
    mlkc05
    (female)

mlkc05 HB User
    What to expect after starting B12 therapy

What can I expect after starting B12 therapy?
    I have had tons of symptoms over the years and believe it or not they just found the B12 deficiency. So, can anybody tell me all of the symptms that are related to a B12 deficiency? ALL of them. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
    mlkc05
    (female)

mlkc05 HB User
    Re: What to expect after starting B12 therapy

Ok, so I am sorry! I should have explained myself a bit better! LOL!
    I have been having a lot (LOT) of awful pain in the right upper quadrant area more specifically it has to be th ekidney or liver though none of the doctors can figure out what it is and basically stop trying to figure it out when all of the normal test don't show anything.
    Anybody else here wish they had 'House' as their doctor? I sure do! Anyway, this pain is almost unexplainable and all I can say is it hurts REALLY REALLY bad. I have had my gallbladder removed but this pain goes all the way back to when I was 9 years old and I am now 28. What can I do? Is there any kind of B12 issue that could make this happen because it seems to be getting better with the B12 therapy! Does that make any sense? Can this happen? If so what is it called? I am confused!
    Thank you to all of you who respond!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Symptoms of B-12 deficiency are different for everyone. Some people have many symptoms and some only have a few. Many common symptoms are Neuro.....along with others that I have listed for you. Tingling or itching tongue, white spots in the skin, stabbing, tingling pain in the hands, sores at the corner of the mouth, electric shock,
    shortness of breath, eye twitch, facial pain, tingling along thighs, memory loss and migraine headaches. I have read that many people feel worse when they begin therapy before recovering. This is commonly discussed on the Anemia board if you are interested in more informaiton. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlkc05 View Post
    Ok, so I am sorry! I should have explained myself a bit better! LOL!
    I have been having a lot (LOT) of awful pain in the right upper quadrant area more specifically it has to be th ekidney or liver though none of the doctors can figure out what it is and basically stop trying to figure it out when all of the normal test don't show anything.
    Anybody else here wish they had 'House' as their doctor? I sure do! Anyway, this pain is almost unexplainable and all I can say is it hurts REALLY REALLY bad. I have had my gallbladder removed but this pain goes all the way back to when I was 9 years old and I am now 28. What can I do? Is there any kind of B12 issue that could make this happen because it seems to be getting better with the B12 therapy! Does that make any sense? Can this happen? If so what is it called? I am confused!
    Thank you to all of you who respond!
    Hi
    Oh yes it sure can......I had the exact same pain and i had so many scans they found a gallstone just one large one and said it should not be causing the problems the pain left with B12 therapy.....I would love to have anotherscan cause I think the so called gallstone wont even be there that would be interesting....

Cheers

Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    What can I expect after starting B12 therapy?
    I have had tons of symptoms over the years and believe it or not they just found the B12 deficiency. So, can anybody tell me all of the symptms that are related to a B12 deficiency? ALL of them. Thank you!
    Hi
    Oh well it doesnt surprise me they just found it you can get symptoms long before your levels fall out of the reference range and that is all the docs will look at if your in that range you dont have a B12 problem bollocks!!!!
    I had symptoms 6 years ago with levels 372 it had to fall to 130 and I was very ill before they looked at it.....My son has just been diagnosed defiecient too his level 200 docs said thats ok I said no I dont think so expalined my point he agreed to give B12 and do a uMMA test specific for cellular deficiency he had never even heard of it......But now he has which is great....

Well you asked for a list of ALL the symptoms I will do my best there are really too many to list here we go...
    Neurological symptoms:
    numbness tingling
    burning feet
    paraethesia
    weakness in the limbs
    dizziness
    foggy thinking
    cognitive function problems
    falling
    ataxia / abnormal gait
    mental status change
    confsion
    dementia
    disorentation
    distorted touch/ painn perception
    muscular spasticity
    tremor
    lhermittes sign
    paralysis
    incontinence

Manifestation in the Blood Disorders:
    anemia
    macrocytosis
    neutrophil hypersegmentation
    anisocytosis
    leuokepenia
    thrombocytopenia
    microcytosis

Psychiatric manifestations
    depression
    hallicinations
    delusions
    violent behaviour
    personality changes
    psychosis
    apathy
    paranoia
    irratability
    schizophrenia

Gastro Diseases
    gastric atrophy
    gastritis hyochlorhydria
    ulcers
    inflammatory bowel disease
    diviticulosis
    gastrointestinal resections malabsorption problems
    crohns disease
    celiac disease
    small bowel over growth
    pancreatic exocrine insufficiency
    The above puts you at high risk of B12 deficiency so if you have any of these be aware...

Other general manifestations
    fatigue
    generalized weakness
    weight loss/ loss of appetite
    constipation or diarrhea
    optic neuritis
    orthostatic hypotension
    chest pain/ exertional dyspnea
    poor wound healing
    premature grey hair(esp children)
    pallor
    glossitis
    tinnitus
    vitiligo
    cervical dysplasia
    memory loss
    foggy thinking
    probelms with numbers like adding up balancing a check book ecta disconnected feeling (almost like that feeling you get when you have a head cold)
    muscle burning in the legs

HERE are some disorders of a possible underlying Deficiency
    alzheimers
    MS
    perpheral neuropathies
    AIDS dementia complex
    hyperhomocysteinemia
    congestive heart failure
    autisim
    fibromyalgia
    chronic fatigue syndrome
    vertigo
    menieres disease
    infertility
    iron deficiency
    alcholisim
    polycythemia
    radiculopathy from back injury disorder
    chronic pain

It is also familial so if you have it and you have children get them checked rgularly some people have few symptoms sometimes no obvious ones other present with many you do not have to have them all...
    And you are at high risk if:
    You have a family member
    taking PPI's
    had surgery including dental
    gasric bypass surgery
    have thyriod disorders
    autoimmune disorders
    vegans/vegetarians
    on folic acid therapy
    have the following medications:
    antacids,h2-blockers,potassium chloride,phenytion,metformin,proton pump inhibitors,cochicine,cholestyramine....

Hope this is helpful

i had a lot of stomach issues with mine I thought at one stage I had pancreatic cancer as the pain radiated from my stomach to my back and it was so painful I would cry I put this down to nerve damage....
    It is important when on B12 therapy to take the cofactos as well omega 3 oils will help the myelin to repair this is important...
    Also the type of B12 is very important to get good healing benefits Methylcobalamin is becoming more recognized as being the king in cobalamins it is in the cative form so no concersion needs to take place.....
    Healing can take a long time usaully the foggy thinking and moods clear up first......

as you can see b12 affects many bodily symptoms it really makes you wonder doesnt it why doctors are no more aware of this.....There are specific tests one should have not just a serum B12 they are.....uMMA, Homocysteine,serum B12, red Cell Folate, CBC, Iron studies

Good luck

Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
    mlkc05
    (female)

mlkc05 HB User

OMG! You guys are great!!!!!! Thank you so much fr all of your great explanations!!!! This has helped me so much!!!! I never realized how many symptoms i had before this!!! I can't believe more doctors don't look at this!!!!! It could help so many people if this was a main underlying cause!!!
    Again thank you all for being so nice and helpful!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    OMG! You guys are great!!!!!! Thank you so much fr all of your great explanations!!!! This has helped me so much!!!! I never realized how many symptoms i had before this!!! I can't believe more doctors don't look at this!!!!! It could help so many people if this was a main underlying cause!!!
    Again thank you all for being so nice and helpful!!!!
    Hi
    Yes it would help,,,however it goes further you need to find out why you are defiecient.....have you had any testing like partiel cell antibodies,Intrinsic Factor, Gluten sensitivity which is really a possibility in your case as it can cause gallbladder problems in that area that doesnt get relieved after surgery...There are many possible reason for a deficiency it would be good to find out as some are familial.....
    take care

Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
    pboeck
    (female)

pboeck HB User
    Wink Re: What to expect after starting B12 therapy

If you are taking B12 injections you can expect to start feeling better anywhere from two weeks to six weeks. It takes time for your body to begin to recover, depending on how long your body has been deficient. And this is important--even after treatment starts you may feel worse before you begin to feel better. I did not know this and got very depressed when I did not start to feel better after a couple of weeks. It took 5-6 weeks for my pain to start to subside and my depression to go away. I had very bad pain in my legs with tingling in my calves and numbness in my feet and hands. My tongue burned very badly and the pain in my extremities was so bad I couldn't sleep. However, when your body starts to respond you will feel better. As bad as this sounds, a diagnosis of B12 deficiency can be a wonderful thing b/c at last you know why you are hurting so badly and there is treatment. B12 treatment may not be a total cure for you but it will greatly help most of your symptoms--you just have to give it time. Exercise helps also when you get to a point where you can move without so much pain. I hope this has been helpful. My main point is to give it some time adn don't get discouraged and depressed like I did when the treatment didn't kick in right away. At least you know you are doing something proactive for your health and better days are coming.

Closed Thread