It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• Very Low Hemoglobin HELP....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
    Janatee
    (female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User
    Very Low Hemoglobin HELP....

Hello All. Writing this thread for my sister, who has a very low hemoglobin count. First, she has what they call ET of the blood. This is where here platelets were multiplying and building up, and not shutting off. More then once they reached as high a one million... This is not good... After a trip to Mayo Clinic this blood disease was found. She is now on meds that are helping control the high platelets and will be for the rest of her life. It has taken a very heavy toll on her. She is a young woman. The platelets have been in the normal range for quiet a while now. Also, after the removal of a brain tumor and mild stroke, she had Radiation in Dec. and now the last blood work said her Hemoglobin has dropped a bit. Doc has her on big pills of Iron, but they are making her sick, and making her insides hurt???? Does anyone know of a NATURAL FOOD OR INGREDIENT that would help raise the blood levels... Also her white count is low, too. When she was at the Mayo Clinic, her levels were so low, that she was given a transfusion, and that really helped. But after the Radiation treatment of 6 weeks straight, the levels are slowly going back down. Doc thinks this is due to the treatments, but what else can be done to raise these levels and keep them at normal range...? Also, it is possible to receive Iron Shots, correct? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.... A very worried Sister. Janatee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
    trying2staycalm
    (female)

trying2staycalm HB User
    Re: Very Low Hemoglobin HELP....

Hey Janatee what a pretty name

Bless her heart, she has alot going on doesn't she? I had to have a blood transfusion in November because my hemoglobin measured 4 and all the nurses and doctors in the office were amazed that I was still up and moving around "normally".

Your sister's condition is definitly a special case. I have heard of iron injections. As a matter of fact, my doctor's office is doing a case study and I was supposed to be screened to see if I'm eligible for it, but I too have had alot going on and haven't done it yet.

If I were you all, I would certainly get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions on what she can and cannot take to find out exactly what will help her.

Best of luck to you all!! Keep us posted on how she's doing

Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Very Low Hemoglobin HELP....

janatee--I feel so bad for your sister to be going through all this. She surely doesn't need other complications from iron. I was DX with anemia last year at 8.5 Hgb and had to take iron which made me so ill I ended up in the ER and had enteritis for 3 months. I was told that I had to have iron IV (which is not without risk) then I was told by my Hematologsit to go back on oral iron. He was not interested in IM injections at all, I was asking about this too. I think he only goes for the "Big Guns", thanks to my GI doc he knew of a ~GI friendly~ iron that is also high dose which is needed. It is Poly Iron 150 and it actually has 150 mgs of elemental iron in it. It is the only iron that I can tolerate. Some people take it 3X daily. I only took it 2 times. I am able to take it on an empty stomach as well, that is how iron should be taken.

Regarding iron injections they can leave a tattooing effect on the bum and they also leave sore spots. I have heard that they are not all that great in building iron. It is not a quick fix with any form of iron. IV is quicker, but as I said, not without risk. I was too ill at the time to have this form. I still take Poly Iron and it has been 2 years. It is a script or OTC. You just have to ask for it. Be sure to ask her doctors about this. Let me know what type of iron she is currently on and I will see if I know anything about it.

You wouldn't think that something so small could do so much hard but it can and often does. The anemia board is full of info on different types of iron. Best of luck to you and your sister. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread