It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• anemic, blood disorder questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    anemic, blood disorder questions

Hi I'm new to this board, but have used the healthboards before for myself. This post is for my sister and niece. My niece is almost 17yo and is very anemic. My sister has asked me to find out what my niece's recent test results mean. I'm good with some medical, but blood issues are not my thing and I was hoping to find some help here so I can assist my sister. If anyone can help figure this out, I'd very much appreciate a reply post (or two, three, four..). My niece presented with pale skin and lips and extreme fatigue -and fainting; blood tests came back showing:
    ***/RH: A Neg
    Product: RCALFVOO RBC AS-a LK REM FILT
    Unit Attributes: C- K- E-
    Antibody Screen: Positive
    Patient has a strong cold auto agglutinin
    IN RED: COLD AGGLUTININ USE A BLOOD WARMER ONLY DO NOT ADMINISTER WITHOUT A WARMER @41C Constant watch check every 15 minutes continue for 10 days.
    blood product: packed RBC 2 Units
    2-4 hours per unit
    Her Hemoglobin was 7.0
    Her Hemocrit was 20
    She was pulled from school and her doctor has told my sister that he doesn't want her to go back until March 23rd at the earliest. She's had a transfusion since the above results came and her hemoglobin is now a 9.0 (or 8.5, my sis wasn't certain which). I'm not sure what her hematocrit is, but my sister said it is better.
    Can anyone help me understand what the results mean and offer any advice or experience?
    Thank you,
    Natalie's aunt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
    flower79
    Inactive
    (female)

flower79 HB User
    Re: anemic, blood disorder questions

Hi Wymom94,
    I'm sorry to hear about your niece Natalie. I'm not in a position to try to diaganoise your niece, only the doc could do that (may even take more testing) to come up with a correct diagnoses. Hopefully it won't be serious.
    I myself am a PV patient (polycythemiavera) since '03.
    about the only thing i can offer you is some help in the normal range readings for the blood work. And this is information from my doctors lab (i have blood work drawn regularly, on a weekly basis right now)

So here's the Normal Ranges:
    Hematocrit 37-47%
    Hemoglobin 12.0-16.0 g/dl
    Red Blood Count 4.2-5.4 mil/cumm
    White Blood Count 4.0-11.0 thou/cumm
    Platelets 130-400 thou/mcl

Wymom, I hope this helps a little. You know, i like to research on a medical website which is very informative. It's the MedlinePlus Medical Encylopeida, or else the Mayo Clinic Medical. you may want to research a lil' on there.
    Good luck to your neice. let me know how it goes. Sarah

Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Thank you for responding, Flower. I was hoping to learn what terms mean, may be able to find it on medline or mayo. I will share this with my sister also.
    Thanks again,
    Natalie's aunt

Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Cold agglutinins or cold autoantibodies normally occur in low levels in almost everybody.

Cold Agglutinin Disease is an autoimmune hemolytic anemia syndrome (anemia caused by red blood cells breaking down abnormally). CA is usually caused by rogue IgM antibodies and may be triggered by an infection. Mononucleosis or pneumonia are common triggers.

In kids/teens CA is transitory and usually disappears after 1 to 3 weeks, the cold agglutinins go away after 6 months. Some more serious diseases must be rule out though, including lymphoma, multiple myeloma and Lupus. Your niece's doctor may have already ruled these out.

"***/RH: A Neg" is her blood type: A- (a good grade too!)

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 02-16-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Closed Thread