It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• 15 year old high HEMOGLOBIN 20 & HEMATOCRIT 55.8

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
    SistaDe
    (female)

SistaDe HB User
    Unhappy 15 year old high HEMOGLOBIN 20 & HEMATOCRIT 55.8

My 15 year old son who is an outstanding athlete and works out hours daily had a routine physical which showed a high hemoglobin and were sent to a Hematologist. This week, my 15 YEAR OLD with a HEMOGLOBIN 20 and a HEMATOCRIT 55.8 saw the hematologist and HIS LIFE is literarily on pause! What in the world has happened or caused such a thing to happen? We are scared out of our mind as we read things on the internet! He is receiving blood therapy twice a week; 500 ml of blood removed and then hydrated with saline. The doctor has sent his blood to Mayo clinic and we have every test and doctor lined up over the next two weeks. All his paper work states is "secondary POLYCYTHEMIA, etiology to be determined". The only symptoms my son has had in the past 6 months is asthma, fatigue, dizzy and extra perspiration, however none were abnormally striking! Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated... we are desperate for any insight!

The following user gives a hug of support to SistaDe:
    debnz (09-09-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: 15 year old high HEMOGLOBIN 20 & HEMATOCRIT 55.8

A strong possibility could be hemochromatosis, an iron storage disease that causes a person to absorb iron excessively and store the excess in the liver. His ferritin (stored iron) level would be important to look at. Severe asthma can also cause high H&H secondary to low oxygen levels. Sometimes hemoglobin is abnormal, doesn't carry oxygen well, so H&H increase to compensate. His oxygen saturations should be monitored, sleep apnea ruled out (lowers oxygen levels at night), carbon monoxide exposure ruled out, and all those things will help in figuring out the cause. None of these are life threatening as long as the cause is identified and treated. The high H&H makes the blood thicker and poses some risks for blood clotting if the levels go too high, so the removal of a unit allows the blood to thin out and removes excess iron if that is a proble. I would be sure he is not taking iron in his vitamins or eating liver or excess red meat until this is figured out. I think you will get answers and he will be fine with treatment of the cause.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ladybud
    debnz (09-09-2012),SistaDe (09-02-2012)
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    debnz (09-09-2012),SistaDe (09-02-2012)
    Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
    Pottsey1
    (male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User
    Re: 15 year old high HEMOGLOBIN 20 & HEMATOCRIT 55.8

Hi.I was diagnosed at age 52 with Primary Polycythemia and will be 64 this month.The high Hemoglobin and high HTC are certainly indicators of Polycy.I experience extreme fatigue,random itching sensation in upper arms and legs and dizziness (mostly in the morning).I feel hot all the time (inside the body) and tingling and sometimes numbness in fingers and toes.I have read several posts over the past 12 years of young people developing PV (ages 15 and up into 20's).It's not a deadly disease if properly diagnosed and treated correctly.
    I hope and pray the best for your son.
    God Bless;
    Randy

Closed Thread

Tags
    adolescent, blood and blood vessel, blood disorder, hematocrit, hemoglobin