It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

• DVT? Persistent leg pain and bruising

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
    sabledragonrook
    (female)

sabledragonrook HB User
    DVT? Persistent leg pain and bruising

Hello! I'm just wondering if any of you have any ideas about this.

In the middle of August, I began (almost instantly) suffering severe chest pains. After about 2 weeks, they become more intermittent until now, thankfully, they are almost always gone. But about a month and a half ago, I started to have leg pain that ranged from annoying to keeping me up at night. In my thigh, in my calf, you name it. Right now, it's in the joint where my leg connects to my pelvis (like when you hyperextend your leg out -- that kind of hurt).

There is no swelling, redness, or discoloration, but I still wonder if it might be a persistent but small DVT. I traveled a few times on planes (2-3 hour flights) in July, but I did move my legs. I went to Japan in May/June, which was between 8 and 13 hours, but I would have thought that was too long ago.

Anyway, I'v been to a chiropractor, although I can't tell if he's helping or if his appointments just happen to sometimes coincide with an improvement of symptoms. I'll have some good days and bad days. The chest pain and leg pain never occur at the same time, but they usually precede each other. I am not anxious, anxiety medicine does not help, and overall I'm pretty calm about the whole situation. I'd just like to be done with it now.

On another note, I DID have an ultrasound (probably doppler but unsure) of both the upper and lower leg, and it came back negative for DVT, baker's cyst, and infection. However, this was in September and the leg pain remains. After a particularly painful bout of leg pain, I will usually have small bruises on the back of my thigh on both sides of the hamstrings, near the knee. The bruises are very minor and look like the remnants of a week-old bruise, but that's the way they first appear. This has happened regularly after bad leg pain -- I can be sitting doing nothing and there is no bruise, then my leg hurts and there is a bruise. I'm a 20 year old female, and as far as I know I have no risk factors, unless a Mirena is one. Not overweight, and a dietitian said my diet was good. I walk at least a mile every day, usually more.

Anyway, DVT? Cellulitis? Superficial thrombosis? Or just general vascular problems? I'm working on heading to a rheumatologist, though I wonder if I should also see a vascular doctor.

Thoughts?

Last edited by sabledragonrook; 11-07-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
    Cjo65
    (female)

Cjo65 HB User
    Re: DVT? Persistent leg pain and bruising

I had similar symptoms recently (chest pain, leg pain, etc). I have a history of blood clots so the first thing my Dr. did was sent me to get my chest and legs checked out, but everything seemed fine. So far the only issue has been my Vitamin D levels (they're extremely low), I've been taking supplements and the leg pain has nearly vanished. I still have chest pain, but not as frequently and I do hear it takes some time to feel 'normal' again.

I'm not saying this is your problem - but maybe it couldn't hurt to ask your doctor to have you tested, if s/he hasn't already?

Closed Thread

Tags
    bruising, clot, dvt, leg pain, thrombosis