It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• Possible to be misdiagnosed with AVN?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
    emiko
    (female)

emiko HB User
    Possible to be misdiagnosed with AVN?

I was on ~2 years of steroids for an autoimmune disease caused by an immune reaction to a benign tumor. Been off steroids for about a year and a half now. I am being told that my hip Xrays are showing avascular necrosis/osteonecrosis, which is supposed to be an extremely serious, painful and debilitating disease.

Based on the scans they are telling me it's fairly advanced - stage III. Problem is I am totally asymptomatic. No hip pain, no issues with movement, pivoting, weight bearing, no referred pain -- nothing. I keep telling my doctors the hip is not bothering me, but they keep telling it's painful -- it's not!!

Feel like something is wrong and they misdiagnosed me because I was on prednisone. Maybe this is osteoarthritis or something? Is this possible for something to look like AVN but be something more benign? The xray is reporting "subtle mixed lytic and sclerotic appearance of the left medial femoral head" and "lucency of the superolateral weightbearing femoral head subchondral bone plate" which has been unchanged since the last xray.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2021, 04:39 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Possible to be misdiagnosed with AVN?

It's very possible to not have pain with this in the beginning.What I see online from a search says that is normal. If you haven't had an MRI, I would definitely have one. If oyu have, it appears that surgery (hip replacement) isn't usually required for several years after DX. I would also see an ortho who does hip replacements for a more valid opinion of your situation. (FYI, I had scoliosis and stenosis for years before I ever felt a thing wrong. My doctors are all shocked. but I truly did not hurt and ran regularly without any problems)

Old 12-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
    emiko
    (female)

emiko HB User

Thanks. I have supposedly had this for at least 1.5 years and they are telling me it's advanced and documenting that I am "in a lot of pain" when I am telling them I am in no pain and the hip isn't bothering me. I will ask for an MRI. Not sure if I can get my doctor to refer out for a second opinion at a different hospital, but I am going to ask for that too.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

OOh- sorry you are in an HMO...PPOs are so muh better because you can go wherever you want. But I'm not surprised. Are you seeing an ortho or is this your PCP? And what is he saying for you to do about it?l

Reply Reply

« Bone disorder | - »