It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• broken bone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
    freekaingjon
    (male)

freekaingjon HB User
    broken bone?

i have broken my left leg and hand once already. when i first broke it i'd figure it'd b more painful. it's not really that bad. i was wondering how do u no forsure when u have a broken bone rather than just a swollen bruised spot. when i broke my hand... everyone said it's not broken. i got a late xray and turns out it was broken after all and healed out of place. also... whats a good way to strengthen ur bones? milk? i been drinking lots of milk since i was a kid... doesnt seem to help much. any other ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: broken bone?

Sometimes it is hard to tell if a bone is broken without an x-ray, or even with an x-ray. Good clues are if it hurts to bend the joints above or below the area, or if you hear the sound of bone grating against bone when you move it. Or, of course, if you have bone shards piercing the skin or a new bend in a limb that wasn't there before... Calcium is important for bone strength, but you also need to make sure that you are getting enough vitamin D (to help with absorbing and using the calcium). Also, exercise helps strengthen bones, because you are using the muscles which pull on the bones and cause them to remodel. But not matter how strong your bones are, there is still the chance that you can break one, if there is enough force involved.

Closed Thread