It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• 13 year old with bone cortical defect /tumor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
    shaukc
    (female)

shaukc HB User
    13 year old with bone cortical defect /tumor

my son had to get a xray a few monthes ago because he hit his leg on a trailer hitch - something on the bone showed up on the xray - this is how we found out this was there - we were told that it was a cortical defect - i took him to a orthopedic and we were told that we just needed to watch it to make sure it did not grow any - at this time he had no pain with it - wednesday the school nurse sent him home with pain coming from it - he was in tears - the dr could not get him in until the next day - this place is between the ankle and the knee - the next day when he woke up his leg was real blue around the top of the ankle - took him to the ortho - dr took xrays and told me that we needed to do a MRi to ease his mind and mine - i looked at the MRI orders and seen where he wrote " tumor ? " ( with a question mark ) I am so scared and was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this kind of stuff ? Thanks , Shauna

The Following User Says Thank You to shaukc For This Useful Post:
    kht2 (11-23-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
    froggy123

froggy123 HB User
    Re: 13 year old with bone cortical defect /tumor

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this would help or not. I have what my doctor defined as a non-cancerous bone tumor in my skull. It's called fibrous dysplasia. It's a rare bone tumor type of thing that is due to an abnormal development in the fibrous (connective tissue) of hte bone. The most common places to find this are in the femur (thigh bone), tibia (shin bone), ribs, skull, facial bones, humerus (upper arm), and pelvis. It is usually diagnosed in kids or young adults. My doc told me that typically it stops growing when your older. I'm 17, we found this on an MRI of my skull last year, I have a 6 month check up on Friday just to make sure that it hasn't grown. Anyways, with this, you can get bone pain which can be caused from the expanding tissue or actually a fracture because of the expansion (which kinda made me wonder whether this is with your son), or there can be a bone deformity. Maybe you should look into this and it's symptoms and see if you feel that it matches your son's symptoms or whatever. It would be worth asking the orthopaedist once the results of the MRI come back.

I hope i helped, and didn't cause more stress in your life with you wondering about this. Let me know when you get the MRI results!!!

Jessica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hi Everyone
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
    shaukc
    (female)

shaukc HB User

Hello Jessica
    I found a web site kinda about what you are saying - it said that these could be caused from bone growth - and he has had a problem with the growth plate in the foot -
    he goes for his MRI Thursday - We will know more a few days after that - they said that it takes a few days to get the report back .
    I will let you know what we find out . Thanks for all the info .
    Shauna

Old 09-01-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi, well... if the tumor is pressing on some nerves, I can also cause pain. It might be a benign tumor, and if it is, then mostly the doctor will just follow up the patients to take X-ray and check if the tumor has grown in size. Biopsy might be done in some cases to rule out cancerous cells. Don't worry too much at the moment, the MRI will be able to tell more of what's going on. I've a tumor at my femur and will be going back for a follow up. Good luck to you and your son!

Closed Thread