It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• unexplained fractures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #16
    iluvseannjoey
    (female)

iluvseannjoey HB User
    Re: unexplained fractures

We got the DNA test results yesterday. The doctors did find something, but they think it is a benign mutation. They want to do the test on both of us to make sure. If they find the same thing on one of us, then they consider it normal, if not, they will have to go back and figure out what it is. So we wait for four more weeks. Also, I was looking at a copy of x rays taken when my son was first born. He had to stay in the ICN for five days because he had breathing problems and cried all the time. I noticed that on these xrays, I can see small black lines going through the ribs. I got a copy of the ones done when we were accused and the lines from the first set match the same ribs and spots they say were fractured. Is it possible that this happened when my son was born? I had a c section, and for anyone that hasn't had one, I can tell you they pull and jerk the baby pretty hard. My back came off the table a couple of times. The problem is that I can't find anyone who will look at the films and try to see if this is a possibility. Everyone I have talked to refuses because they say its a child abuses case. The doctors who accused us of abuse wouldn't even let me see the films and what they were talking about. I know we did not do this to our son. I just don't know how to prove it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #17
    hrtofluv
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hrtofluv HB User

Sorry you son may have a mutation - but it could explain alot. But I don't understand. If his infant xrays showed the fractures then - then YES it was from the trauma of birth. Any chest xray they took for his breathing problems. As for his current xrays that they are refusing to let you see - HOW is this possible?! Wherever they took these xrays - tell them you are coming by and need copies of the xrays to take to an orthopedic surgeon out of town - they HAVE to give you copies!!!! If they still refuse, there should be the radiologist report that you should be able to get. You just need a copy of the report - detailing the fractures locations. Then compare it to the infant radiologist report. If they are reporting on the same ribs - you have your case there!!!!
    And going out of town makes sense. You need to seek an independent doctor evaluation - someone who has not been involved thus far. Take ALL the xray films you have and let this new doc make a report on his diagnosis including the blue eyes.
    You're his mom and you have the RIGHT to his medical records!!!!
    Sorry for the vent - it's not at you (I hope you know) - it's just I'm stoked about this issue. Mainly because CPS focuses on cases like yours and my friends, but when they check into a case of documented bruises and then turn and let the dad go - let him get away with it. WHEW! I could just blow my top - the kid I'm talking about is in my son's class and they let his dad go. Not only did the kids (3 of them) have bruises and with one saying it was from where the dad had spanked her - he broke the mom's arm. Now tell me WHY!!!!!!
    Well - please keep posting and letting me know how it's going. I'm praying they come to the right decision soon and you can get on with determining what to do medically for your child!!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #18
    iluvseannjoey
    (female)

iluvseannjoey HB User

The problem is that my sons newborn radiology report doesn't say anything about fractures. All it says is he has atelectasis(which i found can be caused by a chest injury) But I can see that there is definitely something there on those films that matches the other ones. The doctor said he looked at both sets, but when i read the medical reports, he said that looking at the ones from when he was born was basically a waste of time since there was no way the fractures could be that old. Another report said they were old and rehealing. How can something reheal if it hasn't been rebroke? and if thats the case, how do they really know how old theses fractures were? There are so many inconsistencies that anyone with half a brain cell should know something isn't right.My mother said I should sue the doc that delivered my son so that way, someone would have to look at both sets. I don't want to sue anyone, I just want to go on with our lives. They have postponed our court hearing indefinitely, so I have no idea when my husband will be allowed back into his own home. It was bad enough before that we had to wait until June, but now I have no idea when he will be home.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #19
    hrtofluv
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hrtofluv HB User

I agree you don't want to get your OB involved, especially if you like and want to have another child one day. But maybe your OB doc could be on your side if you suggest that if your son has possible OI, that his ribs could have broken during delivery then show him the films?! Not sure how close you got with yours, but if it were me - I'd try it in a heartbeat. Especially if it meant that the case would be dropped and your husband could come home.
    That's why I had suggested an out-of-town doctor who hopefully would not be prejudicied going into the case. I know my friend's child is now going to be seen at St Jude's Hospital for Children. So - go online and see if you have any close children's hospitals and then look for a doctor associated with it. If you go look online for the OI websites then you might get more suggestions there from parents who have already dealt with these issues in the past.
    I sure wish there was something I could do to help you out. Just remember I am here for you and here's a cyber HUGZZZZ!

Old 06-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #20
    iluvseannjoey
    (female)

iluvseannjoey HB User
    Unhappy Re: unexplained fractures

We have thr final results in for the DNA tests and they say that my son does not have OI. My husband has been allowed to come home recently, but we are still dealing with CSB and the courts. And of course, we still have no explanation for how he was injured. His geneticist said something about he had temporary brittle bone disease, but CSB refuses to accept that. All I know is that we did not hurt our son and we will never say we did, which is what CSB wants. They say we can get this done and over with if we just admit he was abused, but he wasn't abused. I'm not sure I understand about this temporary brittle bone disease, but I don't see why they are so quick to dismiss it.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:41 AM   #21
    30yearold
    (female)

30yearold HB User

Did you consider getting a BMD test for him (bone mass density test)? I'm assuming they've done it already but if not I believe the test is only $150 if your insurance won't cover it. Not that $150 is cheap but it's not bad for a medical exam. Anyhow, the test is painless (just a bunch of x ray type scans) and should tell you if there is any density issue with his bones.
    I'm very happy to hear your husband is home now and you can battle this together. Best of luck toyou.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluvseannjoey
    We have thr final results in for the DNA tests and they say that my son does not have OI. My husband has been allowed to come home recently, but we are still dealing with CSB and the courts. And of course, we still have no explanation for how he was injured. His geneticist said something about he had temporary brittle bone disease, but CSB refuses to accept that. All I know is that we did not hurt our son and we will never say we did, which is what CSB wants. They say we can get this done and over with if we just admit he was abused, but he wasn't abused. I'm not sure I understand about this temporary brittle bone disease, but I don't see why they are so quick to dismiss it.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #22
    suni4321

suni4321 HB User

I'm so sorry to hear about the issues that your having. The worst part is that no one is sure what is wrong.

Please go to the Paget Foundation web site and check the symtoms there is you haven't already. One possibility is osteopetrosis which is a rare bone disease that is so rare there is little information on it. I'm not a doctor but, there are only 25+ doctors in the US that work on this - the paget foundation website is a good resource to see if this is a possiblitity if you haven't already. It is brittle bone disease but, not all forms can be detected in bloodwork. It is also an inherited disease and sometimes can occur when two parents with the gene have a child.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #23
    suni4321

suni4321 HB User

www.paget.org

Old 08-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #24
    iluvseannjoey
    (female)

iluvseannjoey HB User

No did a BMD test on our son and he was taken away from us so quickly, we couldn't demand one. They said his bone mass was fine because it looked fine on the x rays. The doctor that said he was abused calls himself a child abuse "expert", and he is one of those doctors that think they are God. Basically, he could care less what happened to my son, he is just angry that we dared question his diagnosis and therefore to him that means we are guilty and must be hiding something. Doctors really need to look into finding out more about this because I am not the only one this has happened to. There is an entire website dedicated to parents wrongfully accused of abusing their children. Yes, I know child abuse does happen, but its even worse when children are separated from their families because of the arrogance and ignorance of the medical field. This is also child abuse. To let everyone know, I am back with my babies and we are done with court. My husband is home with us where he should be and we are trying our best to put this ugly mess behind us. It still saddens me that this will happen again to other innocent people. Maybe TBBD is real, and maybe doctors should look into it more. And for those who know in their hearts they did something and use this as an excuse, shame on them!! That is the reason child abuse is such a problem and innocent families are torn apart
    Thank you everyone for being so supportive!

Old 08-23-2005, 07:22 AM   #25
    Clair1971
    (female)

Clair1971 HB User
    Smile Re: unexplained fractures

Dear iluvseannjoey.
    I have just read through your posts & replies and my heart goes out to you. You have been through so much & have been very brave too.
    My sister did her nursing degree and I know for a fact that quite a few baby's can be born with broken bones as she was at one birth that the doctors had to break the baby's arm to maintain a live birth. Not nice but sometimes it has to be done.
    I am from England (WALES) & there has been alot of injustice over here regarding women that have been accused of killing or abusing their children. These commitals were on the word and expertease of One Paediactric doctor who was present at every single hearing that involved these wrongly convicted women. Then one mother got the right to appeal and blew the top off of all these convictions though it has taken a couple of years for these to get back to court. The convictions were quashed as this doctors testomy was seen as unsafe & he has now been up in front of the medical General board over here and has been relieved of his post as a doctor. Though this will never compensate to any woman or man unduly accused of child abuse it does lead the way for other parents like yourselves to question whether these doctors really do know what they are talking about. I think maybe you need to mention this to your solicitor/lawyer. The name of one of these women involved in the contraversy is Sally Clark who lives in Wilmslow, Cheshire UK.
    You will be easily able to find out about the injustices over here because of the severity and number of women wrongly convicted & the public uproar which went with it.
    I am under the Royal Orthapaedic Hospital in Birmingham for my Fibrous Dysplasia and my daughter has an appointment tomorrow regarding similar pain to myself and I have been told that they see people from all over the world so it might be worth maybe contacting them regarding your son. I have had a struggle with them myself but I think they just wanted to rule any other bone disease or illness before they start try to do something about the FD. I too have a curveture of the spine and it is a quite commen compaint for children but it is also seen with alot of bone diseases. I broke my arm when I was three years old and it was a severe break. The bone trapped my main archery in my arm & had my arm of been moved the archery most probably would of been damaged causing me to die. I could never understand how I ended up having such a severe break as all childrens bones until they reach puberty are actually cartlidge & are extremely hard to break!! they normally bend. As for these black lines on your childs xray at birth and even now are a definate sign of a break & it seems to me you really do need to turn this around & take out a prossection regarding your childs broken ribs at birth. There should be no injurery to your child what so ever with having a C section.
    I will be praying that this nightmare will come to an end soon but you have to fight them all the way even when you feel you are getting nowhere.
    I know it must be awful to maybe hope the doctors find something medically wrong with your child to prove that you have never hurt your child but by what you symptoms you have descibed there doed seem a problem & it needs a correct diagnosis.
    I will have a look at all bone disease with the symptoms of you littlelen and will get back to you.
    Keep your chin up. Clair xx

Closed Thread