It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• dislocated shoulder, do I need a surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    dislocated shoulder, do I need a surgery?

Hello,

I really need help because I'm very confused and don't know what I have to do.

4 years ago I was lifting weight and I dislocated my left shoulder, it came back in its position after few seconds and it happened again 2 years ago due to a wrong movement. I feel that my left shoulder is not strong as my right shoulder so I started to weight lift again but this time using light weight like 8 pounds for each arm and try to build good arms.

The doctor said that I need a surgery to fix my shoulder .
    Does this light weight lift help me? or I should consider the surgery?
    Is there any way I can avoid the surgery?
    Thanks for help,
    Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
    jessandjeff123
    (female)

jessandjeff123 HB User
    Talking Re: dislocated shoulder, do I need a surgery?

My daughter has had knee problems for 8 years and her left knee has dislocated 4 time completely. I know the knee and shoulder are VERY different joints, however, you may want to ask about trying specific physically theripy first. The physical theripysts can help build and strengthen other muscles in your should to help compensate for the weaker ones that are letting the joint slip out. It is worth asking about. I know with my daughter surgery IS the only option for her. We have tried the physically theripy, knee braces etc... unfrotunately the problem is the way her knee caps sit on the knee joint. she was born with them off center.

Just try to remember everyone situation is a little different than the next. When we hear anything about surgery we tend to panic a little. Talk to your doctor further about other options to try to avoid the surgery if you feel that strongly against it and always get a second opinion.

I hope atleast my response made you feel a little better.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Re: dislocated shoulder, do I need a surgery?

Hello,

Yes your response made me feel better , thank you very much. I had partial dislocation twice and I think that I can lift light weight to strengthen the shoulder muscles. I hope this works for me because I really hate surgery and it's very expensive where I'm living.
    Thanks again for help,
    Michael

Old 07-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
    LatinaLoca
    (female)

LatinaLoca HB User

I dislocated my shoulder four years ago. I was riding a horse that had a history of being good natured. YEAH RIGHT!! I wasn't counting on his dislike of crossing water. Even small streams. I made up my mind he was going to cross it, and he made up his mind that he wasn't. I'm 100 pounds and he won the argument. We fought for a short while and the last thing I remember is flying through the air. I wan't hurt anywhere except my shoulder.

The Drs. tried different things like exercises, PT, anti-imflamatory meds and the pain didn't get any better. It got so bad I couldn't sleep at night. Finally I broke down and had the surgery. Boy, am I glad I did. I have no shoulder pain and I have full use of my shoulder.

You might not need the surgery. Something the orthopedic surgeon told me, that struck me as odd, was to keep building muscle before the surgery. He said it would help with the healing, and he was right.

I hope whatever you do, things turn out well for you. Take Care. LocaLatina

Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
    charlodius
    (male)

charlodius HB User

The shoulder is a very shallow ball and socket joint- think of a golf ball sitting on a tee. What holds the ball in place is a rim of cartilage around the socket ( called your glenoid labrum), and the muscles of your rotator cuff. Sometimes, strengthening those muscles (as well as your biceps) can help prevent future dislocation. However, if you have torn the glenoid labrum, its as if the "tee" that is holding the "ball" has a chipped edge, and your humeral head will want to continuously roll out and dislocate. Have you had an MRI? If you have a tear in the cartilage, you would greatly benefit from shoulder stabilization surgery. It's usually done arthroscopically. Avoid bench presses and push ups- these load the front of your shoulder and make dislocation more likely.

Closed Thread