It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• THA after proximal femoral osteotomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
    Elslayo
    (male)

Elslayo HB User
    THA after proximal femoral osteotomy

Hi all. I'm new to the board. I hope to be able to share my experience with others who have dealt with similar health problems, so I can know what to expect in the future, and learn from other's experiences.

I am a 46 year old Canadian caucasian male. I have been battling bilateral Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease since I was 2.5 years old. I had severe bronchial asthma as a child and my physician tought I may die if I contracted rubella, so he convinced my parents to take preventative measures by giving me an injection to prevent rubella. My mother is adamant that I became sick with this disease 2 weeks after receiving an inocculation or vaccine for rubella made with human blood. I wonder if any board members have had similar experiences with that.

I was put in broomstick casts at 3 yrs old, then was in a wheelchair till my legs could support my weight again and finally I was fitted with a pair of orthopaedic boots with an articulated bar between the ankles with uneven soles until I was 7 yrs old. I have poor range of motion and rotation in the left leg, and it is shorter and weaker than the right leg.

At the age of 30 I underwent proximal femoral osteotomy surgery on my left hip(the most affected of the two). I have a piece of stainless steel in the hip that looks like a 7 with the top part imbedded in the head of my femur and the long part on the outside with four screws through the steel and into the bone to hold it in place. This operation is usually done in 2-2.5 hours, but I was on the operating table for more than five hours due to complications I guess; but have never found out what those were.

I read on a website that these procedures are performed to delay THA in younger patients, and usually last about ten years, it has now been sixteen years since my surgery. I feel that my hip was better before the surgery, and I now am unable to work because of the almost unbearable pain from osteochondritic arthritis and overstressed abductor muscles in my left buttock. I also suffer from poor posture (sway back?) that causes pain in the nerves coming out of my sacrum, and have co-morbid degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine, and rear compression of the disk in the sacro-illiac joint.

Fall has been unusually damp here this year and my pain and limping got so bad that I had to leave my job as a result. I am consulting a surgeon soon to discuss if a total hip arthroplasty may alleviate my suffering. Can anyone suggest any natural remedies or whatever to avoid the use of narcotic pain killers that I fear because of addiction risks and also their side effects on the body and mind.
    Has anyone had similar experiences who would like to share information such as potential THA outcomes after previous osteotomy, any info concerring help or advice to deal with disability adjudication boards and if it is possible too to refer me to a support group or law firms that help people with these kinds of problems. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread