It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• stress fractures in both feet.....uuuuggggg

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
    worryinginBC
    (female)

worryinginBC HB User
    stress fractures in both feet.....uuuuggggg

Hello,
    I had a bone scan done of my feet last week. The results are stress fracture in each foot of the fourth and fifth metatarsal. I did have it in one foot of the fifth metatarsal about three years ago.....now both feet. My doc said obviously, it did not heal last time so she guesses that they will put screws in this time. I am waiting for a calll from the orthapedic surgeon and the GP has also ordered a CT scan. What should I expect? If they do put screws in, how long before I can walk? Would they do both feet at once? Would screws ever be removed?

Another frustating thing is that nothing showed on x-ray, so I had the bone scan and it was found with that. Same thing last time I had a stress fracture, nothing on x-ray but found on bone scan. Now I wonder about the problems with my Lumbar spine. X-ray shwed just wear and tear...but should I get a bone scan on that? Or maybe CT?
    .Frustrating!!!!!
    Thanks

Last edited by worryinginBC; 05-05-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: stress fractures in both feet.....uuuuggggg

Hi, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your feet. Feel free to join us down on the "foot problems" board--it's lively there!

Last thing first: The x-ray that didn't show it. It's a funny fact that x-ray and even MRI just don't work as well on feet as they do on other areas of the body. There are too many parts, they're all small or tiny, and they're all critically important. Also, sometimes stress fractures or hairline fractures don't show.

Your other questions, you'd have to ask the surgeon. The screws might be permanent, or they might be removed, or it might be a "take them out later if they bother you" situation.

They might want to do both feet at once, especially since recovering from the surgery on one will increase strain on the other. However, don't do both at once unless you have family who can help look out for you and a reasonably accessible home, no 4th floor walkup.

Recovery would depend on your case and your surgeon's protocol. You might be able to walk a little right away in a hard-soled surgical shoe, or you might be forbidden to bear weight for a month or more.

Be sure and ask the surgeon all those questions, along with "what are the risks" and "how long should I be off work or other activities" and "what is the expected outcome?"

Surgery to pin together a fracture that isn't knitting is pretty routine. Not fun, but not the worst thing in the world.

Also, have you considered a bone stimulator? They really do work, I understand. Do you know why you have the stress fractures? Do you have osteoporosis or another medical condition that puts you at risk?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
    worryinginBC
    (female)

worryinginBC HB User
    Re: stress fractures in both feet.....uuuuggggg

Thanks for answering so quick Jane White. Yes, I have been on the "foot problems" board I don't know why I have these fractures. I was working in the kitchen of a hospital when I got my first fracture of the fifth in my left foot. All the pushing heavy carts while twisting on your toes.

Then I drove truck for two years and now am on school bus. I was blaming it on the clutch but now it is both feet. Yes, I think my doc should definatly check me for osteoporosis(sp). I am 42 years

Thankyou

Closed Thread