It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• Severe pain on old ankle frcture site

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
    Star1977
    (female)

Star1977 HB User
    Severe pain on old ankle frcture site

Hi I hope that someone can help me here,

7 years ago I broke my ankle (both tib and fib) and I had an operation to fix it using 12 screws and 1 plate (Internal Fixation). In the meantime I have made a great recovery. Within months I was walking normally, and I have been very active since. Apart from the occasional pain when my metal work is knocked or in the cold weather, I have been relatively pain free.

I made the decision to keep my 12 screws and plate in my ankle because they were not causing me any pain or problems. My GP agreed with my decision. Removal of the hardware would have involved another major operation.

Recently, over the past couple of weeks, my ankle has begun to really hurt. I havent gone over on it or twisted it. To look at, its normal (no swelling, bruising or redness). But the pain is directly above the metal work and is tender to touch. It mostly hurts when I try to move the ankle joint and when I walk on it. Although its not neccesarily worsened by weight bearing.. It also feels slightly warm to the touch, when compared to my other ankle.

I went for an Xray 2 days ago to check the metal work and im told it hasnt moved. The Dr at the A&E department that I should use ibuprofen gel and keep it warm....

I know what is normal for ankle and the pain I am suffering it not right. I can hardly walk on it, it is the same level of pain as to when I came out of plaster post op. But I dont understand what is causing this pain??

Is there anyone out there who has kept their metal in for over 5 years and has had it removed? Is so, please can you tell me what happened?

Anyone got any ideas to what could be causing this pain??

I hope someone can help, I would really appreciate your advise.

Thanks x x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread