It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board

• Osteochondroma Removal or Not?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
    dr27
    (male)

dr27 HB User
    Re: Osteochondroma Removal or Not?

I am 15 years of age. I had my osteochondroma removed yesterday. The pain was not severe. Although pain can reach a more moderate level. My osteochondroma was just below my knee cap. When I first saw a osteo-doctor he said that he couldn't removed it. I recommend seeing a pediatrician that specializes in bone surgery. I will keep you posted on my recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
    clovisjr
    (male)

clovisjr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr27 View Post
    I am 15 years of age. I had my osteochondroma removed yesterday. The pain was not severe. Although pain can reach a more moderate level. My osteochondroma was just below my knee cap. When I first saw a osteo-doctor he said that he couldn't removed it. I recommend seeing a pediatrician that specializes in bone surgery. I will keep you posted on my recovery.
    Best wishes ! I had mine removed nearly 2 months ago, and with a little physiotherapy (strongly advised) I was 100% heald within four or five weeks. I'm already playing soccer again. My chondroma was on the back of the femur, right above the knee.

Clovis

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #18
    rick360
    (male)

rick360 HB User

Hey man hang in there ive had it on my rt tibia it swells somtimes and pops other times i havnt rode a bike or ran jump or anything for that matter i was diagnosed at 7yrs old and now im 20 i would see what your doc says shrners childrens hostpital told me to wait till im done growing becouse if you remove it before growth it comes back with more pain and swelling dont make the same mistake i did i know its painful sometimes but when u are fully grown they remove it and it will be a glorious day just heed my warning good luck to you hope this helped

Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #19
    dr27
    (male)

dr27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rick360 View Post
    Hey man hang in there ive had it on my rt tibia it swells somtimes and pops other times i havnt rode a bike or ran jump or anything for that matter i was diagnosed at 7yrs old and now im 20 i would see what your doc says shrners childrens hostpital told me to wait till im done growing becouse if you remove it before growth it comes back with more pain and swelling dont make the same mistake i did i know its painful sometimes but when u are fully grown they remove it and it will be a glorious day just heed my warning good luck to you hope this helped

Rick,
    Osteochondroma (benign bone tumor) does NOT pop. It is a build up of cartilage, bone, and calcium. Therefore, it does not pop because it is part of the bone. Also, if you choose the right doctor with proper expirenece it will not grow back.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #20
    rick360
    (male)

rick360 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Osteochondroma Removal or Not?

thanks for info that was really helpful i am going to shriners on dec 2 to see what they can do mine pops or snaps because it is rubbing up against a ligament or something thats what my doc says

Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
    AceofHearts
    (female)

AceofHearts HB UserAceofHearts HB User

Hey all, I had one of these bumps removed at 15 because of excruciating pain (it was growing in underneath my tendon ) It has not grown back. I still have many (probably 100+) on my knees, hips, shoulder, ankles, and my pinkys are deformed (curved bone at the tip instead of straight, its also very tiny because it probably stopped growing) and at 21 I am still seeing more appear!!! I've found that as they grow they are extremely painful, but once established they don't bother me. My knees and joints are pretty much constantly sore though, just from everyday stuff and if I do extra activities I can know the next day is going to be bad. Stairs are especially difficult for me at times. Anyway, back to surgery, originally they told me I would lose some feeling in my leg because of a main nerve they would have to cut but that after a year or so I would only have a small quarter sized spot that I would not feel. The surgery went fine, I was in physical therapy before and after, I healed up pretty fast and was able to do more activities without the constant pain. Yay, but there was a catch! I cannot feel a lot of my knee (probably the circumference of a soft ball) where they removed the bump...and it's been 6 yrs. I can't say I regret the surgery, it was very necessary. However, I have not had my larger one removed because it's either have a little pain and soreness or have no feeling at all...I would advise that if the pain is minimal and can be controlled (physical therapy is excellent!!), than don't have surgery, or at least wait as long as you possibly can.

Both of my knees pop too!!!! (FYI)

Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
    zukey
    (male)

zukey HB User

I had an osteochondroma in my left knee removed about a week ago. So far everything is pretty good. The knee is a little stiff and can not bend it too far but I am able to walk and work out. Have been doing yoga, lifting weights and took a run yesterday a week after the surgery. The ice helps bring down the swelling.

Closed Thread